Starting a Tree Farm

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
We moved from Calif where the bark beetles are ravaging the forests due to the drought. Mary has seen some of the devastation in her vacation area of Calaveras County. Up here in Southern OR, we have begun to see the effects of a Fir tree die off, from a small grub. Its similar in methodoligy to the bark beetle, in that it burrows in and disrupts the xylem and phloem of the tree (up and down water veins).

All the above is due to our extended drought conditions.

Steve: my BIL lives in Coeur d Alene and they have bark beetle there too!

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You might want to plant a couple of acres of Christmas trees, will help pay the bills. I have a small one across the street from me, owners do very well come Nov.

Not interested in doing any pine trees. Deciduous is my cup of tea but also having people on your property on a regular basis requires further zoning and licensing that I'm not interested in.

I bought a couple or three Catalpas from a local couple who was also selling 100's of japanese maples. People say that they (Catalpas) are too messy, but they are way out front on the 2.6 acres, so I'll let them be messy. They are about 5 ft tall and just starting to show signs of life here. I've seen several of them around the area, and I think mine will do fine.

I've never had the opinion of them being overly messy. They certainly look out of place with their huge single leaves though.

We moved from Calif where the bark beetles are ravaging the forests due to the drought. Mary has seen some of the devastation in her vacation area of Calaveras County. Up here in Southern OR, we have begun to see the effects of a Fir tree die off, from a small grub. Its similar in methodoligy to the bark beetle, in that it burrows in and disrupts the xylem and phloem of the tree (up and down water veins).

All the above is due to our extended drought conditions.

Steve: my BIL lives in Coeur d Alene and they have bark beetle there too!

We have the emerald ash borer up here and there's a bark beetle of some sort making its way from the Chicago area that is eating the hardwoods. Not good :(

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@SprigOfTheLivingDead , happy to hear you are pursuing your passion. I wish you luck with your endeavors. Over here in the Spokane CDA area, some of the mountains a little south have almost a rusty red tinge to them in the summer. Enough tree tops are starting to die from the bark Beatles that you can almost see from a long distance.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Technically speaking a tree farm is actually owning wooded acreage that you allow logging on, so the Dept of Agriculture refers to what I want to do as a Nursery Stock Grower.

This should be fun :)

congrats! doing fun things with plants is how i started way back as a kid.
never have lost my facination with nature. so much going on in so many
ways. :)

i hope you can find a good place to be.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@SprigOfTheLivingDead , happy to hear you are pursuing your passion. I wish you luck with your endeavors. Over here in the Spokane CDA area, some of the mountains a little south have almost a rusty red tinge to them in the summer. Enough tree tops are starting to die from the bark Beatles that you can almost see from a long distance.

That's sad

Well ~ Good go Sprig ~ more power to you ```
Thanks!

I hope you find a property soon and are able to get started on your dream. :thumbsup
Thanks. Finding the right property will be tough. Some counties are pretty strict with zoning while others are not.

congrats! doing fun things with plants is how i started way back as a kid.
never have lost my facination with nature. so much going on in so many
ways. :)

i hope you can find a good place to be.

Thanks! Like I said above. Finding the perfect land and house is key, especially since kid #5 will be here this summer

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is great news Sprig! Kudos to you for having the courage to follow your dream. I wish you only the best in your endeavors. May you sell your home fast and find the perfect new piece of property. Keep us posted on how it's going and thank you for thinking and doing for our environment. Much appreciated.

Mary

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So.... Tomorrow is our moving day. We found a house with 10 usable acres :). The caveat is that we need to do some renovations, which are a bit more expensive than we planned, so our money is past tight :(. Luckily we found a contractor that can start immediately since kid #5 will be here in 9 weeks

Wahoo! Plants are packed up and kids are ready to go. 20180613_202358_HDR.jpg 20180612_085141_HDR.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
So.... Tomorrow is our moving day. We found a house with 10 usable acres :). The caveat is that we need to do some renovations, which are a bit more expensive than we planned, so our money is past tight :(. Luckily we found a contractor that can start immediately since kid #5 will be here in 9 weeks

Wahoo! Plants are packed up and kids are ready to go.View attachment 26754 View attachment 26755

congrats on the find. :)

are you buying it? i'd love 10 acres. 160 is more like it, but i don't have a cool million handy.

Latest posts