STARTING SEEDS!?

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It will suck you in and before you know it, you'll be in a jungle!
I am starting to get weird looks from hubby....especially after I got 8 suction cup shower caddies and stuck them in the kitchen window. They are filled with peat pots full of bok choy :D

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
It will suck you in and before you know it, you'll be in a jungle!
I am starting to get weird looks from hubby....especially after I got 8 suction cup shower caddies and stuck them in the kitchen window. They are filled with peat pots full of bok choy :D
That is hysterical :lol: and also a great idea...

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Quote from Ladyhawke:
However, if I can put a little more effort into the garden to keep the bugs off my veggies without using some horrible spray stuff..... then I am open to the use of covers. Pictures would be nice.

:frow :frow

Hi Ladyhawke,

In the UK a lot of gardeners use use row covers over their vegatables. They help us, early in the season, to keep the plants warm in our unpredictable climate (especially at night) & also keep off the marauding bugs. I find them very useful.

Here is a link which shows the fleece/floating row cover material being used over supports. You can also use it just loosely draped over the plants but obviously it is not so effective in keeping out the bugs...!

http://www.saundersallotment.co.uk/Diary 2003.html
****scroll down to April for photos

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&rlz=1B3GGGL_enGB306GB306&tbs=isch:1&q=photos+of+fleece
**** the first 2 pages have some photos of the use of row covers.

PS. I am sure there are more photos in the allotment Thread I am presently posting here on TEG:
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=27452

I hope this helps! :D

:rose Hattie :rose

chicken stalker

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
i am sooo tempted to start my seeds this weekend! i'll just have to wait a couple more weeks for most on them to get started in my zone.
My kids and I are going to plant some petunia seeds that I collected last fall. The year before we started flowers the same time as we started veggies and they never really got to the point of bloom. So we are starting the extra early this year. It's a snow day from school today so they will be excited to plant seeds.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
Quote from Ladyhawke:
However, if I can put a little more effort into the garden to keep the bugs off my veggies without using some horrible spray stuff..... then I am open to the use of covers. Pictures would be nice.

:frow :frow

Hi Ladyhawke,

In the UK a lot of gardeners use use row covers over their vegatables. They help us, early in the season, to keep the plants warm in our unpredictable climate (especially at night) & also keep off the marauding bugs. I find them very useful.

Here is a link which shows the fleece/floating row cover material being used over supports. You can also use it just loosely draped over the plants but obviously it is not so effective in keeping out the bugs...!

http://www.saundersallotment.co.uk/Diary 2003.html
****scroll down to April for photos

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&rlz=1B3GGGL_enGB306GB306&tbs=isch:1&q=photos+of+fleece
**** the first 2 pages have some photos of the use of row covers.

PS. I am sure there are more photos in the allotment Thread I am presently posting here on TEG:
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=27452

I hope this helps! :D

:rose Hattie :rose
Thanks Hattie, this is great. :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The very first cookie box of soil mix and tiny snapdragon seedlings have been moved to a window this morning :). But, it's a west window . . .

I'm in a terrible fix - I don't know when the "window guy" is supposed to be here :/ to replace my good south window!! Please, please don't make me fire-up the greenhouse in February!

Fired-up or not . . . these babies will have to find better light than this soon. The best I can think is to carry them out about mid-day to sit in the cool greenhouse for a few hours. But, a rainstorm is supposed to be on the way!
:barnie

I'll be in full nurturing mode with my 1 cookie box of tiny plants, today.

Steve

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
chicken stalker said:
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
i am sooo tempted to start my seeds this weekend! i'll just have to wait a couple more weeks for most on them to get started in my zone.
My kids and I are going to plant some petunia seeds that I collected last fall. The year before we started flowers the same time as we started veggies and they never really got to the point of bloom. So we are starting the extra early this year. It's a snow day from school today so they will be excited to plant seeds.
To get plants to bloom, might want to try to keep them under a 16hour light and 6 hour dark lighting schedule, and find out if the type you are trying to grow requires temperature change to induce the formation of flower buds. With pansies at least, to get them to flower, I usually start chilling them 6 weeks before I want blooms. Restricting fertilization can also help "force" reproduction instead of plain vegetative growth.

digitS', you've just gotta get some indoor grow lamps!!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
silkiechicken said:
. . . digitS', you've just gotta get some indoor grow lamps!!!
I do have some 8' double bulb fixtures (warm/cool white). I have those for the greenhouse and will use them if driven to by cloudy skies. I've actually set one up in the house once or twice but there's a different ceiling now - hate to screw hooks in it.

As I say, I can start the furnace and heat the 9' x 20' greenhouse (sunshed). I'll be getting to that in a couple weeks anyway but I'd sure like to delay it as late as possible.

I just gotta get this remodeling effort behind me and get on to what is important in life. :tools

Steve

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you're remodeling, just do it remodeling style... put the lights from blocks! LOL I can't drill holes into the walls of the apt, so before the grow shelf, I just scrwed the 4 foot fixture to a 5 foot board and put it on top of boxes. LOL It was pretty bad.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just buy those clip lights from the electrical section of the hardware store. So I plug and clip... no hole drilling and I can move them when ever I like.

Will buy you a few days anyways and only about $5 a piece.

Latest posts