Stevia

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
PumpkinPeep I was at Home Depot yesterday and they do have it!

The plants that they had were on there last legs! I don't think one would even make the 3 mile trip home! In my truck that is. These plants needed an ambulance!
2sgn022sos.gif

But I did sample the leaf, wow that is sweet! People were giving me a funny look as I'm eating plants. But I can't let that stop me, it was research!

I will keep my open for a nice healthy plant, then I will make many!

Joe

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
PumpkinPeep I was at Home Depot yesterday and they do have it!

The plants that they had were on there last legs! I don't think one would even make the 3 mile trip home! In my truck that is. These plants needed an ambulance! http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l231/injunjoetortman/gifs/2sgn022sos.gif

But I did sample the leaf, wow that is sweet! People were giving me a funny look as I'm eating plants. But I can't let that stop me, it was research!

I will keep my open for a nice healthy plant, then I will make many!

Joe
That's awesome!

Too bad they won't give them WATER! Stevia's not that hard to take care of.

With the leaf eating - after we got our plant, my husband was making every person who stopped by eat a leaf - for more than a month.

"What? You want me to just put this in my mouth?"
:lol:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Hey, PunkinPeep--Thanks so much for sending me some seeds! :hugs I'm bet the "morter and pestle" should work well for you, though I'm not sure where you'd buy it. :hu
I'm in zone 6: When should I start my seeds for next growing season?...6-8 weeks before the last frost, maybe? Any advice? :caf

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
Hey, PunkinPeep--Thanks so much for sending me some seeds! :hugs I'm bet the "morter and pestle" should work well for you, though I'm not sure where you'd buy it. :hu
I'm in zone 6: When should I start my seeds for next growing season?...6-8 weeks before the last frost, maybe? Any advice? :caf
I'm a super-newbie, and i haven't started them from seed before, so i'm just speculating here.

I do know that plenty of people have them as houseplants. So i would say start them any time inside if you can keep them warm and well lit and then transfer to a sunny spot in the spring time. But yes, they hate frost, so be sure they won't get nipped before you move them outdoors.

My plant was started for me when i got it, so i'm hoping to gain information from y'all who got the seeds on how everyone does starting them from seed. That's also why i sent so many seeds. . . hoping to give you the best chance at making a go of it. :fl

mothergoose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Has anyone had luck growing their stevia from seed. I have some stevia seed that I am going to start here in the next few days. I do have instructions for growing it, so we will see how it goes.
Christie :D

goatbless

Leafing Out
Reaction score
mothergoose said:
Has anyone had luck growing their stevia from seed. I have some stevia seed that I am going to start here in the next few days. I do have instructions for growing it, so we will see how it goes.
Christie :D
I started some, but out of one and a half dozen seeds only three came up, and they damped off(and I usually do great with seed starting). :rolleyes: I will be trying again soon, but will be more careful this time. Will check in again in a few weeks with results...

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
I bought a plant last year. I cut it back and overwintered it. It is starting to really grow again.
Me too. Mine is coming back very nicely.

I read some where between last year's miniscule harvest and now - that you're supposed to prune the plant during the growing season to keep it from getting all long and gangley like it does.

I want to do that this time, but i'm curious if anyone can give me more instruction than that.

I gave away all my seeds, so i didn't try it that way. Probably a good thing. My thumb is still trying to get green - but maybe not there yet.

Latest posts