Strawbale gardens

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know if this will work ..
This is a link from facebook of a short vid of my SBG

You'll have to excuse the voice, I have been fighting some sort of crud for a several days and has almost no voice yesterday morning.

... also - didn't realize how many times I said 'Monster' this or that until I watched it.. LOL

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like the weed free concept. I wonder about the cost of all of those bales. Anyone try strawberries in this way? I gave them up due to weed infiltration. Do you reuse the bales for a couple of seasons?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I paid $1.50 per bale for rye straw.
They say that you can re-use them as long as they hold up - but I can't imagine them staying 'cube' shaped for more than one season.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd try it again if I could get straw for a buck and a half. I paid $6 for wheat straw. So far I'm not excited. Mine seem to need a tremendous amount of water, and maybe if we got more from the sky that wouldn't be an issue, but they need watering daily. My in-ground plantings only need water twice a week.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd try it again if I could get straw for a buck and a half. I paid $6 for wheat straw. So far I'm not excited. Mine seem to need a tremendous amount of water, and maybe if we got more from the sky that wouldn't be an issue, but they need watering daily. My in-ground plantings only need water twice a week.

YES!!! They go through a LOT of water. I have a hose run from the house - to a timer - to a splitter that feeds the soaker hose and the cow's water trough. 5am the timer goes off and runs for 10 mins. That's enough time to get the bales a little water and to over flow the trough so that it's FULL of COLD well water. I usually hit the manual button on the timer when I get home and run it for another 5mins so that the trough is filled again with cold water - and the bales get another little drink.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm having trouble with summer t-storms knocking my yellow squash plants off the top of the bale. They're so big - with sail-like leaves and the bale is so narrow. Trying to decide if I should try some sort of bracing - like a cattle panel along the side next year? Or set up 4 bales in a big square and plant 1 per bale towards the middle of the square so they have 'bale' to fall over on?

Latest posts