Successful Surgery

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A tax write-off isn't the same as income and some of the seriously strapped health care providers are nonprofits.

Regular job with no medical insurance?

I have been there. One outfit I worked for had a retirement program that went belly-up just before I signed on. It was a sorry situation for some of the longtime employees. One had to wonder if it wasn't some sort of scam but only management made the choices and those retirement accounts were all new then.

The owners figured that we didn't need any "bennies" after that, I guess. It was an agricultural job so there were no paid holidays. That was one thing but no medical was kind of scary. With the employees screwing up their courage and asking some very pointed questions, the most basic insurance imaginable was added to the owners' policies. Employees went without raises that year.

Years later, I took another job only to find out that my wife didn't qualify for their insurance because of a pre-existing condition.

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
@catjac1975 There are programs out there to help the uninsured, you just have to know where to look, or know how to use the welfare system which I do not know how people can do that. Lots of research!! It was unbearable. I was not trying to sound rude, if it came off that way I apologize.
I suffered with that pain for almost 3 years and was really getting tired of hearing that I would have to learn to live with it.
You don't know how people can use welfare? As a teacher I will tell you there are many unemployable people. Not just the lazy that most people complain about. There is a portion of the public that are just not smart. Everyone deserves to be warm, fed and receive medical care no matter their lot own life. I am happy that you got your surgery.I feel badly that you had to wait so long. There still are a lot of male doctors that do not listen to women. I am sorry that you had a bad one. A friend of mine had both shoulders done. The recovery was difficult but her quality of life his immeasurable . As bad as it was she would do it again. Get well soon.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
my doctor happens to be a nun, along with her sisters they run a clinic and will work with whoever shows up to get them what they need. unfortunately the clinic is a bit of a drive but i don't go there often enough that is an issue. i'm going to scheme a bit next time i talk to a friend who also happens to be a nun who has a large place that is mostly empty and could probably be put to good use as a clinic... :)
This fills my heart.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
A tax write-off isn't the same as income and some of the seriously strapped health care providers are nonprofits.

Regular job with no medical insurance?

I have been there. One outfit I worked for had a retirement program that went belly-up just before I signed on. It was a sorry situation for some of the longtime employees. One had to wonder if it wasn't some sort of scam but only management made the choices and those retirement accounts were all new then.

The owners figured that we didn't need any "bennies" after that, I guess. It was an agricultural job so there were no paid holidays. That was one thing but no medical was kind of scary. With the employees screwing up their courage and asking some very pointed questions, the most basic insurance imaginable was added to the owners' policies. Employees went without raises that year.

Years later, I took another job only to find out that my wife didn't qualify for their insurance because of a pre-existing condition.

Steve
Poloroid was a huge photographic company located near me that went bankrupt. They had a big retirement account for their employees. The judge allowed the CEO to take ten million dollars as the company was dissolved. The life time employees and retirees got NOTHING. The CEO had worked there a year. Scam? Likely. I cannot imagine the cold heart that can steal from hardworking people.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@catjac1975 I did not mean people should not get help when needed. I completely understand that. It's the people who know how to scam the welfare system for certain things. That's what I meant. I just realized how that sounded.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
No one in this country should have to go without surgery because of money or insurance. Same as no person or child should go hungry

so much of what we call health care now used to be in the realm of your local healer (hedge witch, shaman, whatever you want to call them). it has all been legislated and regulated away from the common people and anyone who would help other people for low cost is at risk of being sued. they can't afford malpractice insurance, formal education and the whole clap trap that goes with it, but they can be help to those around them.

my advice to everyone is to learn basic first aid anyways, by the time help arrives in many situations it may be too late. the farther out in the sticks you live the more important this becomes.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know someone who is mentally ill. He can not hold a job he is homeless sleeping on the floor of a friends tiny apartment. last time I saw him I was shocked at how much weight he loss. When I comment on it he told me he doesnt have money to eat every day, I find odd jobs for him to do. I am begging him to at least get food stamps. Unfortunately he is someone who needs to be lead by the hand. Now that work has slowed down need to take a day off and take him to welfare office.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You don't need to be able to walk on the wind to change a bandaid but didn't we know that specialized training, high tech and medical research was going to be expensive?

Reading about Samuel Tilden back in the day when it was unbecoming to campaign for public office. He was the first to win the popular vote for US president but 2 groups of electors from each of 3 states kinda threw that "college thing" up in the air. Anyway, he was a very wealthy person because of "patent medicine." I'll give him credit that it was his family with the patent and it wasn't like that there were lots of alternative treatments for the vapors.

Welfare office waiting rooms are populated with people like NyBoy's friend. Only single moms outnumber them. Well, the moms represent a larger group ... pick a time before the kids get out of school!

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Back to the original post. I have not stopped doing my range of motion.... I use my arm as much as possible now that I'm able to move it with out screaming in pain and crying. I'm very thankful that I finally found a Dr who listened to me and did not just give me a steriod shot and shove me out the door, or just tell me it's arthritis and bursitis learn to live with it. My physical therapist was also amazing. If I told them it hurt they listened to me. The last therapist I went to said "it's going to hurt" and I tried another therapist they tried to give me massages but it hurt to even be touched before the surgery. I told the one woman if she touched me again I would smack her. She looked at me and said " a little pissy arent we? " I said touch me again and you will get hit. Never went back.
I should find those Dr's who told me to just live with all that pain and tell them they were WRONG about my diagnosis.
SO important that they listen to you!!! After DH went through triple bipass surgery (2006) and they made him go through rehab exercising with a stand alone bike. He never had a knee problem until then. I finally solved his problem. I stretch him 2-3x/day, 5 minutes of stretching and exercise. I point his toes, them flex them, straddle his legs apart one at a time, cross leg over and push on the thigh and opposite shoulder, roll over and push heel to butt to stretch the upper thigh, then have him do 5 push ups, holding 5 seconds/5 reps. I have him do this on the bed so no falling. Everything is 5 reps. Now, he doesn't have a knee problem OR a stiffness problem OR leg cramps.
I marvel at how people studying sports just don't get the importance of dance stretches. Dancers stretch, then practice, then stretch, then stretch, then practice, then stretch, then stretch. We lose flexibility whenever we do not stretch and you should NEVER bounce during a stretch bc you will strain a muscle. Only be careful doing any kind of backbend. You Can lay face down on the bed and push your head back towards your toes without any harm.
DH said that the stretching used to hurt, now he looks forward to it.
Keep using your instinct and smarts!!

Latest posts