Surprise pup!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know! No more slimy fingers! Plus you can really huck it way out there.

nola can really lather up a tennis to the point ..like there's no way in heck i'm going to touch that thing. thank goodness for the tractor supply .99 cent tennis balls..

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not to worry. The little Wrenbird is a privileged senior member of the Canine Club. Recently when the night time temps dipped so low she got to stay inside for the night when visiting hours were over.

Larka seems to relish the cold and lays on her belly in the snow, legs stretched behind her for little winter catnaps. She would much rather be draft horsin' around in the cold air than be inside unless we are all there to entertain her!

The dog houses in the dog run have heated mats and are stuffed with clean straw. I have never seen Larka sleep in one. She prefers the open air on the straw.

My chow mix always did that too, having such a heavy coat. Before we moved here, they had to stay outside. She would leave a smooth, round, frozen spot of packed snow where she liked to lay. :) Meanwhile, the pibble would be balled up in her double-insulated dog house, shivering like a chihuahua. :p She was very glad when she got to move inside full time!

I thought from looking at the pics that Wren does appear to be the dominant one. Larka seems to be keeping an eye on what everyone else is doing and just following along. That is a good dynamic to have between a senior dog and a pup.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wren is the boss dog. Larka is just a big goofy puppy and loves to wrestle and tease Wren by stealing her ball or frisbee, but will immediately back down when Wren gets a little crabby with her.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
2016 puppy news....

I have begun taking the dogs out a few times a week with the quad. Walking is good, but my knee complains by the time we do a mile unless I go very slowly.
Sanglarka has been doing well with her leash training and the walks reinforce what she's learning, but she has a lot of puppy energy with this cold weather.
I can't let her be outside unsupervised as she has discovered that her mom and dads house is one place away and loves to have spontaneous family reunions. I spend a fair amount of time outdoors everyday while she gets to be a free pup, but if I'm not with her she has to be in the run or in the house. When the snow is gone I will be installing an invisible fence.

So with all this energy, when she's indoors she paces, and paces...
I decided I needed to up her energy output several times a week.
That's where the quad comes in. She can run alongside for 30 minutes no problem, that's about 4 miles.

DSCN3468.JPG

The little pocket rocket Wren has no problem staying out front and getting in a lot of sniffing while we roll behind her.

DSCN3470.JPG

The speedometer is not working but I think we're probably doing 7 or 8 mph.
Then when we get home and I take Larka off lead, she and Wren still have plenty of energy to race around and wrestle!

DSCN3472.JPG

I have decided to make Larka earn her keep by learning to be a draft animal.
Step one was getting her used to the "harness". If it looks like a horse halter to you, that's because it is.
She is fine with this step. But wonders what I'm plotting.

DSCN3474.JPG

I walked her around with the sled, pulled by me and she didn't mind.
I looped the twine loosely through the harness and let it drag along behind her, and she was still fine.

Then when I turned her to the inside of my side the light twine connecting her to the sled wrapped behind her fanny and she got scared and did a few wild turns in circles around me.

DSCN3480.JPG

That put her off, and she decided this pulling baloney was not for her. So I went back to pulling it myself and leading her.
She is still leery so it will take me a few days of back to the beginning to gain her trust with it. My bad, I got over enthusiastic without giving her enough time to think it through. But she'll be good with it, and then I'll get her a proper harness and we'll perfect our drafting. :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Larka is growing up to be such a pretty dog. :)

Exercise is such a great way to bond with your dog and establish leadership. It will make her a well-behaved girl, getting all of that extra energy out. Good idea on the quad!

Wonder how she would do on a treadmill? Hopefully better than that dog video I posted in the humor thread. I can see how that would get boring fast. At least people can read a book or watch tv. :p

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Haha Journey! We finally got our data rollover so I was able to watch that you-tube. So funny!
When summer comes I hope to be able to take her biking. At least around our neighborhood gravel roads, then we can both benefit. If she's good with that, then we can take her trail riding in the woods along with Wren, and that will be a good time.

Latest posts