Sweet Wild Syringa

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a health food store in town that sells Ezekiel bread. It's sprouted grain, plus lots of other grains. Good stuff...… but it's still carbs. Then if I succumbed to temptation and put my wild plum jelly on it......:barnie

that's why i pretty much have to avoid bread completely, between the butter, p-nut butter, strawberry jam, etc... i used to always have two slices of bread with stuff on it. eventually i figured out that i really should only be eating half sandwiches if that is what i'm going to be doing with them. ugh. good luck @baymule

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a health food store in town that sells Ezekiel bread. It's sprouted grain, plus lots of other grains. Good stuff...… but it's still carbs. Then if I succumbed to temptation and put my wild plum jelly on it......:barnie

I don't have any idea how 'sprouted grain bread' is made.. or exactly what it's made from... but I keep a loaf of Ezekiel bread in the fridge ALWAYS! It's the only kind I can eat and not blow up like a parade balloon.
(don't get the one in the orange wrapper... :sick)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks @flowerbug my goal is to get to 130-135 pounds. I was skinny as a 2x4 until middle age, then slowly "creep weight" crept up on me and I was 151 pounds. I used to do good to keep my weight up to 124.

@canesisters sprouted bread is just that, the wheat grains have been sprouted, dried and ground into flour. It changes the carbohydrates and gluten in the wheat (or something like that)

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have a long spring ahead of me... :( i picked up eight pounds in a month of not checking the scale. i knew i was being a little bad, but didn't expect it to be this much. going to make it a challenge to get back to 170lbs which is only half way of where i want to get back to 150-155. i've been as low as 135 in the past 15 years but that was due to heartbreak/grieving so i guess it didn't count because i went right back to 165 within a few years after. i just have to stop feeding the pie-hole all this junk.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a cousin who was diagnosed with RA a few years ago. She desperately didn't want to be on all the drugs for it and decided to try to reduce inflammation throughout her system by diet. It took a couple years but she was released by her RA Dr. a couple of weeks ago - having gone off her meds well over a year ago and only using diet to control her symptoms. They told her that her test results looked great, that they were real proud of her for sticking with the diet - AND she has lost a significant amount of weight along the way.
I started on it a week ago - more in hopes to reduced my (probably arthritis related) aches and pains than anything else but have dropped 4 lbs already. Most likely, it's ALL water.. but I'll take it!
Anyway - all that to say that I've been hearing hype about the mediterrain diet for years - starting with my cousin - but I always thought that it was too expensive or not going to have anything I'd actually enjoy eating. But I got this cookbook today and I've got to say that if this past week's food and weight loss is any hint of what's coming this summer, I am excited.
book.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That looks delicious Bay! Very interesting crust recipe. ( ETA - did you cut it in fourths? :lol:)

Food is a good subject for Syringas thread, haha! That girl can put the food away, and I'm happy to see that she has stayed nicely round through the very cold temps and high winds we have had, with just a cover over her head and no wind block.
She does have an arctic musk ox type coat though, so that helps.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The crust is actually better than yeast rising dough.
I have been trying to come up with some "carbs" for DD. After a lifetime of respiratory allergies: She was recently diagnosed with food allergies. Some of these are considered "mild" and she has never been in too much trouble with any allergic reactions. Still, it would be nice to get along in life without sneezing fits and minor but reoccurring rashes. (Hey. Maybe I have food allergies!)

About the only flours in my kitchen that the tests indicate don't cause reactions with her were corn and tapioca. I went out and bought some arrowroot and millet flour. I came up with a corn pancake and a corn muffin recipe that seem fairly tasty. The muffins especially - no eggs, substituting ground flaxseed and applesauce. (Back to the store for the flaxseed ....)

There's a cookbook in the library on using "cauli-flour" ;). Well, maybe. But, the one pizza crust with no wheat flour looked like pizza toppings on a cracker. Nope.

Now, some of these flours I had never even heard of before this little adventure. I suppose I should have thought of almond flour ...

... you know, because an almond tree in bloom looks something like syringa in flower ... ;)

Steve

Latest posts