TEG Members Map (pin your location)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
April Manier said:
Ridgerunner, I see that you went ahead and fenced your garden. How big is it and what did you use? How high did you go?
Yeah, that fence serves two purposes, three actually. Its there for deer and dog protection. At times my wife and I have counted over 50 deer grazing in that pasture just to the east, this side of the woods off Stevenson Mountain. I decided to put up a deer fence after deer ate most of my sweet potato vines, I cut up a few bars of Irish Spring and scattered that among the sweet potato vines that were left, and they came back a couple of nights later to finish them off.

Id had what I assume was the neighbors dog go in and destroy where green peas were just coming up by digging in there. Probably after a vole. That dog just wouldnt quit digging! Its amazing how much damage he did.

I considered an electric fence but didnt want to have to keep the weeds and grass cleared out to keep from grounding it out. So I put in some wooden fence posts and used 5 high no-dig kennel fencing. Thats a lot like chicken wire but fairly heavy gauge. Then I screwed 2x4s onto the posts to raise the height to 10, drilled holes in the 2x4s at 6, 8, and 10 above ground level and pulled brace wire through that.

Did I need to go 10 high? I dont know, but after seeing how ridiculously easy these deer clear a 5 high fence I decided it was worth doing.

My third use for the fence? Pole beans and cucumbers. Occasionally the deer eat some of the beans outside the fence, but I can live with that amount of damage. This use was actually an afterthought. Deer and dogs were the reason.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
April Manier said:
Red I noticed you are not fenced. You don't have deer problems with all those woods interspersed?
I just clicked to enlarge where I have my pin. Sheesh! I guess I should'a checked further before deciding the pin was on the nearest town. Nope! It's in the 'Ritzy' side of Beloit - nearly inside our Super Walmart - and just a tad south of the last HFH house I helped build. We had a lot of problems at first since some of the high-class folks didn't want a HFH house anywhere near that area.

I'll try to get he pin on City Hall. Plenty of other sharp points in there.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol Dee said:
Hey everyone. Only a few of use on the map, I would LOVE to see where you are all at. Please add your location. (If I can do it you can, really easy.) :lol:
Yes, but Carol Dee: I have 3 gardens besides what is here at home. I've got lots of neighbors!

All these neighbors are scared of me. If they found out that I'm the "Steve" saying these sweet things I share about them here on the garden forum, it would destroy our relationships!

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just pin your City Hall so we can find your town. No need to show the garden if you don't want to.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yea, :) Carol, that looks like 20 or more acres of corn, in a shape making it hard to tell, but the bottom part that makes 3 sides of a square looks like 650 by 650 feet, and then traverses northwest an area twice that size, hard to say where it ends. Wow! Beautiful! I think I see natural streams in it too.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I keep moving my pin. Seeing you all being able to talk about seeing each others' homes and gardens made me want to pin my yard too. I was suprized when I zoomed all the way in that I could see 'Mt. Rotmore'!!! :ep My compost pile is visible from space!!!!!
:lol:
But then I got creeped out (not by you guys!!) and moved the pin to a little church nearby that was built a couple hundred years ago. :D

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall and Thistle, look again. Somehow I must have moved my pin. We are only 2 acres of weed, a few apple trees and lots of garden space. There are 2 sheds and a row of old *stuff* i.e. campers, truck, tractor, boats, etc...

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Awww! Carol, that's a nice place! Yours has a street view! I can make out a truck and an rv, and you have one of those classic barns, and looks like your vegetable garden has a row of trees that give I think morning shade, and room for much more garden.

I'm liking Iowa looking around there!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If I can get enough coolers Ridgerunner I can help with that deer problem ;)

I just moved my pin to the house we're trying REALLY hard to close on. Last permit should be finalized today then final underwriting and we can close hopefully on 3/25. :fl

Latest posts