Temporary Pet Tender Job

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree but he would revert back as he is alpha in that House-& he knows that. I trained my uncles dog to heal, stay and come. Just the 2 of us, perfect. Soon as he saw my uncle, back to old ways.

Most likely.

Though, I worked with my sister's dog all of two minutes and~ after two trainers and scads of money, not to mention a whole wall of dog walking implements that looked like a dominatrix's closet, as well as an injured ankle on my sister's part and a torn rotator cuff for her 6'4" husband due to trying to walk the fool dog~they can now walk her like a regular dog, they just have the one leash(no more prong collars, halty leashes, etc.) and she still minds me like I am the sole source of her feed.

Could depend on the dog...this one is uber smart, so she only needed to see that at least one human was smarter than she.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee you could become rich here, starting a dog training school.

Naw, I'm no dog trainer at all~I wish I had such talent~ and folks probably wouldn't like me making their dogs mind. People seem to love having unruly dogs and take great offense if you don't allow them to jump all over you. That always seems weird to me that people think it's okay for a dog~even a little dog~to put their paws on a person.

I think smarter dogs just know who will allow such behavior and who will not, so they respond well to those who won't take any nonsense.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dogs really want to jump on people. I think it may be partly an imitation thing. Humans are all the time putting their hands on the dog, the dog should be putting its paws on the humans.

I haven't had to deal much with this sort of thing but know that there are a couple of things people do: step on the dog's back feet and step on the dog's leash. Both may be too awkward to do but a rolled up newspaper may be ineffective with this dog.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think this dog is easily trainable. Just that first rush of excitability is overpowering. And he has a lot of energy. My DH went with me this morning, and he played with the dog outside while I took care of the cats and cleaned up litter pans and the dog kennel. (Apparently he is not that well house trained.)
Dog absolutely loves to fetch and jump. DH had him worn out. He actually laid down on the floor calmly, after all that excess energy was expelled.
I had realized last night that once the novelty of me being there wore off, the dog would follow me around the house and seemed to enjoy it. We did paces for quite a while, and I threw a toy for him to fetch over and over.
If there is a way to get him to remain calm upon first meeting, (letting him out of the kennel, or letting him in or out of the house) it would be easy to reward him for that, and he would learn. I have seen a dog trainer on TV--(Lucky Dog) use two leashes, one fastened to an I-bolt on the floor, one for the trainer to control. He would correct her when she jumped, and tighten up on the leash. Anyway, it worked on TV.
I couldn't even get this dog to hold still long enough to get a leash on him. Like trying to put a bracelet on an octopus. Something about putting your hands on him that gets him really squirrely.
Anyway, I am getting used to him, so I don't feel the need to murder him at the moment.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
If there is a way to get him to remain calm upon first meeting, (letting him out of the kennel, or letting him in or out of the house) it would be easy to reward him for that, and he would learn.

So Lucky, when you approach his kennel, stop and pause while he goes through all his wiggling and jumping...and just wait. Take a little treat with you. When he stops doing that, slip him the treat. Make a move towards the door of his kennel...if he starts moving and grooving again, stop, step back and just wait. When he calms down move towards the door but never let him out until he is standing calmly. This may take a bit and some patience, but if he's smart, he'll get the message that you retreat when he wiggles, you advance when he stands or sits calmly. But, he doesn't get out until he remains calm.

If he gets it and is standing calmly then you unlatch the kennel and he starts up again, don't open that door. Just because you open the door doesn't mean he gets to come out and he needs to learn that. It's all a game of patience and rewards for calm behavior. Calm gets a treat or you walking towards him, excitement gets nothing or you not advancing towards the kennel. Calm is not merely standing still, but ears and tail down, not posed to leap towards the door or towards you. If you have the patience for it, it should work.

A good session of that when you come could change his behavior when he does get out of the kennel...waiting calmly expends energy, which is a good thing.

Same thing when putting him back in the kennel...don't shut the door until he's sitting or lying calmly in the kennel. Maybe give him a toy or some kind of chew treat for being calm in the kennel, then shut the door.

That is, if you have the time for all of that...it does take some time and patience to effect change.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, thank you. That sounds like exactly the right way to go about this. I only have to do the critters this evening and tomorrow morning, but I will try this. It is the kind of training the dog whisperer would do. In addition, I will discuss it with my granddaughter, who is technically the owner. I think she is searching for something to help with the jumping and such.

Latest posts