The Any Wonderful Food You Made From Your Garden Today Thread!

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
tryingtohaveitall said:
Ooh, I thought of something else I just made with garden foods, some from mine, some from others'.

Carmelized onion and spring asparagus pasta

2 large sweet onions, sliced and carmelized in olive oil (in oven or on stove top)
snap asparagus (approx 2 lbs) into bite sized pieces, boil for ~ 4min
1 pkg gemelli pasta, cook per directions

combine in 9 x 13" pans with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, cracked pepper and freshly grated parmesan.

Heat in 350 oven just long enough to melt the cheese and meld the flavors together. Delicious! My favorite spring food.
That sounds soooo gooood!! It will be on next weeks menu. I'll have to have some sort of meat with it though or hubby will turn his nose up at it. :rolleyes: Maybe a thin cut steak?? Yep, that's it! :drool

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
blue skys said:
tryingtohaveitall said:
Ooh, I thought of something else I just made with garden foods, some from mine, some from others'.

2 large sweet onions, sliced and carmelized in olive oil (in oven or on stove top)

combine in 9 x 13" pans with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, cracked pepper and freshly grated parmesan.

Heat in 350 oven just long enough to melt the cheese and meld the flavors together. Delicious! My favorite spring food.
That sounds soooo gooood!! It will be on next weeks menu. I'll have to have some sort of meat with it though or hubby will turn his nose up at it. :rolleyes: Maybe a thin cut steak?? Yep, that's it! :drool
Tryingtohaveitall: Can you give me more details? Like, how much oil and vinegar? It sounds GREAT!!

My new favorite is a heaping bowl of spinach, 1-2 green onions slivered on top, 1 fresh-from-my-farm boiled egg, vinaigrette. What a wonderful lunch! Oh yeah--and an iced glass of black raspberry tea with mint, frozen from last year :)

tryingtohaveitall

Leafing Out
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
blue skys said:
tryingtohaveitall said:

Tryingtohaveitall: Can you give me more details? Like, how much oil and vinegar? It sounds GREAT!!

My new favorite is a heaping bowl of spinach, 1-2 green onions slivered on top, 1 fresh-from-my-farm boiled egg, vinaigrette. What a wonderful lunch! Oh yeah--and an iced glass of black raspberry tea with mint, frozen from last year :)
I'll make guesses. This is one of those things that's done to taste. My Italian BFF taught me how to make this and there aren't written measurements. I usually put olive oil in the 9 x 13" pan to start when I roast the onions. 1/4 c. cup per pan (I usually make this in 2 pans)? If there's still enough in the pan to coat the additions when I am ready to add the asparagus and pasta, I don't add more. If it seems dry, I'll drizzle more olive oil over the top.

Balsamic vinegar's really dependent on how much you like it. I like it quite a bit, so I add between 1/3 - 1/2 c. per pan, I suppose. Sorry I can't be more precise. I guess start small since you can always add more but it's hard to remove. :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am currently making some pasta.... I've put oregano and basil from the garden in the sauce. I also put the last 6-7 strawberries from my garden into a red velvet cake I have baking right now in the oven.

Now reason for the cake... just a nice dessert after we get home from the gym (shhhhhhhhhhhhh!).

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
do you know I have eaten or tried to eat every single type of cake on the planet ..but never tried a red velvet cake! I have heard of them seen many recipes for them ...but never tried one

I believe it is an American icon of cakes isnt it?

one of these days I will have to make one! but only when I have a crowd over so they can eat it all or take the rest with

sadly I have never met a cake...if given time... I could not eat entirely by myself :p

tonight we are having leftover stuffed vine leaves... but we ate breakfast and lunch from the garden in the form of tossed salads with chive flower vinegar for both meals :)

I miss the greens when the season passes (mid summer when it is hotter they really slow down or bolt) but here we can do a fall planting and eat them until mid winter if careful so that is good! Collards we can eat almost to January!

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is our first year to grow it and to eat it.

So it began from here (well it really started from the seed packet :rolleyes: )

To this

To the Table

I believe Swiss Chard is one of our New Green Veggies :ya

DH was even skeptical, but tried it raw as I was cutting it up. I drizzled it with Olive Oil, salt and pepper. some garlic and chopped green onions all sauteed together. I had Parmesan cheese on mine. :thumbsup Some really tasty stuff :p DH wants me to attempt to prepare it as one would for willted lettuce with hot bacon dressing. I believe that may be tasty also :p I will let ya know :thumbsup

:happy_flower Karan :D

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I hope to retire in 4 years Karanleaf I am right behind you!

your pictures ..your chard..your meal ..are all just beautiful thank you so much for sharing :)

chard is one of my all time favorites it grows all year here and so pretty in the garden!

jamespm_98

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The swiss chard does look good. Is it similar to other greens such as spinach in taste?

We pulled a few early potatoes last night and my wife roasted them, just had some for lunch. :)

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Last night we finally got another home-grown salad (since some time last winter). These were volunteer seeded greens. They are just starting to want to bolt, I see, because they were exuding a little white sap when I picked them, but I thought they tasted great with caesar dressing. Usually I add lemon juice to my caesar dressing, but this time I didn't and I didn't miss the lemon because the greens were a little on the tart side. But boy that is the best salad I have had in some time. :)

Latest posts