The Any Wonderful Food You Made From Your Garden Today Thread!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This was last weekend, but I had a pile of slicers, and was trying to figure out what to do with them. So I juiced them, and made bloody Mary mix. I can't say I'm a big fan of that drink, but I thought it would make for a nice gift with a little bottle of vodka. :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a Mormon family as neighbors.

The adult children and their parents get together and can - a lot. From what I understand, they make 2 things with their tomatoes:

A salsa with only 3 ingredients: tomatoes, sweet peppers and onions.

And, tomato juice.

I'm told that they have tomato juice almost every morning of the year. And, they've got lots and lots of tomatoes. I know, I'm the source for their plants :).

Steve

CountryGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Even though I didn't purposely plant purslane in my garden it is abundant so I decided to try different recipes to use it. We have had it in salad with grilled zucchini and cherry tomatoes, on cheese burgers and tacos substituting purslane for lettuce and a soup that you can eat cold or hot with leeks, potatoes, peas and purslane. My husband and I have enjoyed it. Now if only the vegetables I PLANTED would finally produce. I got a late start. :rolleyes:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My annual war with Weed Purslane is reaching a high level since it is flowering and will soon be setting seed here.

Any help that I can get will be appreciated :p.

Here is a recipe for Purslane and Pork Stew.
An Herb or a Weed? is a more general article that discusses its use in salads and omelets.

The final "surge" may begin today with eradicating the purslane from the paths in the little veggie garden. This will be a completion of a 3rd attempt - 1st 2 using a rototiller, this will be finishing up with a hoe.

The dahlias may have it under control in their garden but I've had to do some spraying there. I'll never get all the purslane out of the large veggie garden but it doesn't form mats of weeds probably because the ground is less fertile and packs very hard in the paths there. Hardly matters anywhere since it will be back in force in 2011.

Cooking it makes sense, otherwise, it should be carried away or buried, since it can survive being uprooted and left lying in a path.

Steve :rolleyes:

"Remember I'm pulling for you, We're all in this together." ~ Red Green

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The purslane I planted got eaten by slugs. The wild stuff they never bother. I am intentionally spreading the seeds from my wild variety. It does make a good ground cover as well as a great source of omega 3's.

I made salsa yesterday and a small batch of marinara dipping sauce. It was a test batch and I like how it came out. I am getting practice in now because when those tomatoes of mine really pick up on the ripening I am going to be swamped :D

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ohhh purslane....it's all over my garden too. And this year, so are the ground cherries....they reseeded themselves WELL! Unfortunately it appears the mice are finding the fallen fruits before I can...

Lets see....lunch today included this stuff from the garden:
-grilled zucchini and pattypan squash :drool
-green beans

This weekend we made salsa (used my tomatoes and a few tomatillos)....hmm, we've been eating cucumbers lately...and the sweet corn was good......potatoes have been dug so we'll be enjoying those soon....a bountiful harvest this summer!

Oh yeah....can't forget the garden-fresh bouquets of zinnias, gomphrena, sunflower, and celosia!

It's a lotta work, but it's worth it when you can enjoy the fruits of your labor and share the bounty with others.

:tools

CountryGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi Curly_Kate. Yes, I noticed you were in Aurora. Hope your garden is doing well. Hope we gets some rain soon. :frow

Latest posts