The Any Wonderful Food You Made From Your Garden Today Thread!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Tonight we had roasted chicken with stuffing. I used my own Sage, thyme, oregano and chives from the garden in the stuffing... and I pulled back the skin and stuffed the thyme under and then tucked the skin back over. I then rubbed it down with olive oil, salt, pepper and topped the chicken with sliced turkey bacon.

I sliced an onion and carmelized it to mix with corn and rice boiled with butter and basil.

Finally finished up with a chicken gravy and a salad with romaine lettuce and shredded carrots from the garden.

Lets just say... BOY AM I FULL!!!!

:caf

coffee and computer break... then I got stuck with the dishes after I cooked all that. :hu

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sylvie said:
Salad with a vinaigrette made with chive flower vinegar.
Green onions.
Bean and rice soup.

I'm vegetarian. The garden rules my meals. :coolsun
I would like the recipe for the chive flower vinegar as well!!!!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am not Sylvie but I saw Wifezilla posted someplace about making chive flower vinegar with white vinegar and chive flowers ..I figured it was like any infused vinegar so.... I just filled a few jars half way with chive flowers and poured white vinegar over it (the white vinegar lets the color of the flowers turn the vinegar a brilliant purple pink)

it is just beautiful!!! and tastes wonderful (and I have only had it sitting a week! I could not imagine white vinegar having such wonderful flavor!

tonight Mexican syle shrimp cocktails (I have to use store bought tomatoes to early for them here yet but the plants are in so there is hope! )

but I am using garden spring onions, spring garlic, and lots of fresh herbs from the garden to make them..

serving it with a green salad from the garden

and more rhubarb for dessert! (my strawberries are starting to turn so I betcha by the weekend I have some fresh berries and cream to roll around in!)

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Spinach souffle and maybe rhubarb crisp. Possibly salad with chopped green garlic. Boy, what great meals you all eat! Where's the drooly face when you need it?

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Spinach souffle and maybe rhubarb crisp. Possibly salad with chopped green garlic. Boy, what great meals you all eat! Where's the drooly face when you need it?
you too! spinach souffle I have to make one! it has been ages since I have prepared a souffle!! and I adore this dish!

Ok I adore food and just love to eat :)

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Absolutely! I love to eat, therefore I garden. It works the other way for me, too. If I can grow it, then I WILL find a delicious way to eat it :)

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Glad you liked the chive blossom vinegar :D

Yes, it is just as easy as she said. Pour white vinegar over fresh picked chive blossoms and let it sit for a week or so (or as long as you can stand to see that pretty purple liquid just begging to be poured on salad). Strain and use with some good olive oil on your favorite greens.

I just harvested my first batch this year. I can't wait to use it. The stuff I made last year disappeared pretty quickly :p

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You guys are such wonderful cooks, rather chefs!

HiDelight, thanks for the chive flower vinegar recipe...I'm on my way out to the garden right now! How long does it take before you can use it?

Tonite I am going to saute some (of my own) radish tops with garlic and butter. Grilling up some steak and having a fresh salad with (store bought still) tomatoes and my own homegrown radishes...I'm a simple cook. :)

I love "Mexican Style Shrimp Cocktails"! The version I make is called a seafood "campachana". It has chunks of crab and shrimp, avacados, tomatoes, jalapenos (fresh), red onion, lime or lemon juice, and cilantro, garlic and (Salish ;)) sea salt. Served chilled with tortillia chips. :drool

^That might be what I make for lunch!^

*edit: forgot about the cilantro, lemon and lime juice!!

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Salad. Since I am zone 4, it will be salad greens for quite a while now...LOL
LOL im in zone 5b (canada) and our lettuce is only 2.5 inches tall (romaine) but my spinach is going nuts!

nothing for us for a bit now, maybe potatoes or green onions though.

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Chive flower vinegar? Would you please post the recipe? I have chives flowering right now! Sounds devine!
Certainly, BBH! It is too simple.

Chive Flower Vinegar:
Chive flowers
Rice wine vinegar
Pint canning jar

Gently tap the flowers upside down against the side of the sink to dislodge any potential bugs.
Stuff (as in cram in) a pint canning jar with chive blossoms.
Pour vinegar to cover. Put a lid on, like a used mayo lid.
Place in Fridge overnight; 12-24 hours. Taste to see if flavorful enough for you or if needs more time.
Strain and use the lovely colored vinegar.
I sometimes leave the blossoms in for a couple days with no problems, but it gets too strong after about 5 days with them in.

ETA-oops I just saw the other posts. Well, just add this to the collection, lol!