The Any Wonderful Food You Made From Your Garden Today Thread!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight :frow

Here's a recipe for the future when you have some chard. It's a real curiosity as it dates back to the 14th Century in Southern France, and like our original Christmas Mince Pies is both sweet & savoury! It is still served in Provence sometimes & I think it delicious.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Swiss-Chard-Raisin-and-Pine-Nut-Tart-236407

Edited to add a second recipe because this pastry looks more authentic & I like the sound of the Brandy

http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=782765

:rose Hattie :rose

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Finally, we had a real nice salad with my "Italian mix" salad greens. Just a simple salad with yogurt bleu cheese dressing, a ripe tomato and a red onion. BUT it was from my garden and that makes me happy!

Snap peas are all flowering right now.

And I have CHERRIES!! They are green still, but beginning to get big!!! I am so excited! :weee Cherries are my favorite fruit.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
YAY on the salad BBH!!! it has been a strange season but el nino is going to help us out on tomatoes maybe this year and give us some long sunny days!!! I am excited for that!!! and cherries I know huh???? we grow the best in the world here is all can say

I wish my tree had more than 12 on it!!!

a buck took a huge few bites out of it during its formative years sadly

Hattie I have made very similar recipes to both those tarts and love them ! but this one you posted is really the better recipe of the two ..I mixed my greens and used some sharper ones for bite with the sweet and richness of the pastry.. it was even better!
this is a very good recipe so close to what I did last thanks! it is nice to have it writing so when I do it again it is a close proximity!
http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=782765

firemm3

Leafing Out
Reaction score
squash and onions cooked in Amish butter, now that eatin'

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Tonight, we had our first green beans sauteed with garlic. They were yummy. I really like getting stuff straight out of the garden and cooking it. I've got a few Juliet grape tomatoes that will be ripe in a couple of days. My big tomatoes are coming on strong but no sign of ripeness yet.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey HiDelight! I have one little shoot I just noticed of my black bamboo that has escaped it's pot. Want it? I should really just plant my bamboo in the ground already. The only reason I haven't is because of all the warnings you hear. :rolleyes:

That recipe with the chard, pine nuts and raisins sounds wonderful. I will have to give it a try.

This past weekend I made garlic scape pesto. If you don't know what garlic scapes are, they are the little flower bud that you may sometimes get on your garlic. I've never had them grow on my garlic before, so it was my first chance to try them. As soon as I cut them I knew I was going to enjoy them. :D I just blended them up with some olive oil, pine nuts, salt, and parmigiano- reggiano. It got rave reviews! Lucky for me, I found some more garlic scapes lurking in the garden beds. :weee

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am still eating greans and can not believe it ..everytime I go out in the garden I stunned ..time to take a few bags to the food bank

pea pods sauted in home made alder/cherry smoked bacon with roasted chicken tongiht

lots of pea pods for a while they are going crazy out there :)

and today I made probably the last batch of stuffed vine leaves they are starting to become a bit tough you can still blanch and use them but I like the way they are when they are tender and sometimes in is nice to have something only once a year and then look forward to it again when the time is right and all the vegetables are in perfect line for the dish you want to make ...

that is why I want a perpetual garden so I can always have something fresh to make

Maybe this year now that I am giving this more thought

also rhubarb I have begun to freeze it now I dont save a lot of things but rhubarb I do ..

strawberries! I had my first home made short cakes (today!!!) and enough garden strawberries to top them ..wow really is there anything like your own berries? they are ripening very quickly now..it is me against the birds and so far I am winning!

eating them with fresh mint in full fat Greek yogurt is the best for breakfast!

every meal is something from the garden now :)
how you guys doing?

kathyschix

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Last night, I think I made one of the best meals ever using mostly local and/or organic ingredients. :D

Roast chicken (bought from a local farmer who pasture feeds, naturally raises her birds)

Red potato salad with chopped hard boiled egg, chives, dill and scallions (and a little gorgonzola for good measure -yeah that wasn't local!)

Garden peas and snow peas sauteed with scallions

Strawberry rhubarb crisp for dessert

Oh man it was all yummy. :drool

Regards,

Kathy