The Any Wonderful Food You Made From Your Garden Today Thread!

trion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Pumpkin bread from our cheese pumpkins. Soooo yummy - the kids keep stealing it all. Very cake like, think banana bread consistency. I only have enough for one loaf left :( Need more pumpkins next year.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:weee I DID IT!!!!!!!:weee

we are eating a great big fresh from the garden salad for breakfast this morning! I am just so happy I had to share!

it is beautiful! it has a great big pile of fresh baby lettuce leaves in it..along with some sliced sweet tasty peel carrots, baby puple and Tuscan kale ..the dressing is going to be a chive flower vinegrette oh yeah and a fresh boiled chicken egg!

I feel so grateful to have been able to eat fresh food from the garden from last March up until (so far so good there are still things out there to gather!) today :ya

if I can still pick through next month I will officially consider myself a perpetual gardener

sounds silly but it is a huge accomplishment for me :mow :tools:throw :watering

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!!!

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
:weee I DID IT!!!!!!!:weee

we are eating a great big fresh from the garden salad for breakfast this morning! I am just so happy I had to share!

it is beautiful! it has a great big pile of fresh baby lettuce leaves in it..along with some sliced sweet tasty peel carrots, baby puple and Tuscan kale ..the dressing is going to be a chive flower vinegrette oh yeah and a fresh boiled chicken egg!

I feel so grateful to have been able to eat fresh food from the garden from last March up until (so far so good there are still things out there to gather!) today :ya

if I can still pick through next month I will officially consider myself a perpetual gardener

sounds silly but it is a huge accomplishment for me :mow :tools:throw :watering

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!!!
You are truly an inspiration.. that sounds awesome!!!!

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow, sounds nice! Well done Hidelight! Here in Winter Wonderland, I'm eating my own turkey sausage (the turkeys ate some of my garden produce, does that count?) and sauerkraut from home-grown cabbages out of the root cellar. Yesterday we had oatmeal with defrosted strawberries picked in June, and it was wonderful. Got spiced canned peaches for dessert.

Making beans with home-grown turkey stock and our own spicy peppers later for dinner. Have a veggie lasagna (from frozen veggies and our chickens' egg noodles) planned for the weekend.

I have a ginger root that sprouted, I think I will try your technique for growing it. Last time I tried that, I guess I buried it too deep. Will try setting it close to the surface this time, thanks!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
everything counts :ya..yes just lay the ginger right on top of the dirt and barely press it down it will find its way! it takes a while to start and them all of a sudden fills a pot!

thanks 4grands!

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
karanleaf said:
HiDelight said:
awww give escarole another chance! I did not like it years ago and grew to love it ..now it is my favorite green I grow the one that is dark green to a creamy white in the middle it is a lot like a wonderful lettuce with a bite instead of the sharp bitter endive (same thing I guess escarole and endive but I always think of the big leafy green one used in Italian soups that is what I grow)

if you lived closer I could give you some babies I have tons of plants and find the second year (this year) they were even better than the first ..I thought when I left them they would die but they came back stong and full heads ...usually by now they finish but are still growing strong and not a bit of bolting ..my broccoli rabe has bolted however ...I keep cutting it back but it insists on bolting

my husband just informed me we have enough strawberries for dessert tonight

I made an upside down strawberry shortcake to die for ..but am now on a strict diet! wow a few cakes here and there and all of a sudden 10lbs comes out of nowhere ..go figure huh?
:lol: :gig :gig :lol: The laugh is on me :gig :gig When you said escarole I thought you were talking of the garlic and butter sauted snails :sick :gig :lol: :lol: :gig :th I never gave the veggie a thought :idunno :rolleyes: :gig No it's like the chard I had never tried it yet. And now DH and I both love the chard it will be a regular with us now. I shall give escarole a try , can you grow as a cool weather crop? Like this fall?

Strawberry cake oh my :p yum

:happy_flower Karan :D
But I love escargot....with garlic and butter. :frow

Leave it to me to bring up this slimy issue. This article is from Sunset magazine.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1216/is_n5_v180/ai_6547821/
:ep

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Venison mushroom lasagne:

1 lb. venison (or ground beef, but that's not as good ;) )
1 large storage onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, smashed
4 tbsp. oil or butter
1 pint ricotta (from 3 recipes' worth of hard cheese whey, if you've got homemade)
2 eggs
1 pasta recipe's worth of lasagne noodles, egg noodle dough rolled and cut into lasagne size works
1 big can of good paste tomatoes, either chopped or peeled in tomato juice, San Marzanos are good
1 recipe's worth of 30 minute mozzarella from local milk if possible, sliced
1 lb. ridiculously large Blue Oyster mushrooms (mine was pretty much one giant mushroom the size of a salad plate), diced
herbs and salt to taste

Saute in a skillet: venison, butter/oil, onion, garlic, mushroom. When meat is browned, add tomatoes. If the tomatoes are whole-peeled, chop them up with the spatula.
Mix in a bowl: ricotta, eggs, salt, herbs
In a big casserole dish, layer noodles, meat, mozz, ricotta, noodles, meat, mozz...until you get to the top layer of noodles. Put another layer of ricotta and mozz on top, then cover tightly with foil.
Bake at 325-350F for one hour, until noodles are done. Take the foil off for the last 10-15 minutes or so.
Laugh at everyone who tells you that it is not possible to eat locally in northern climates in late winter, and how everyone who ever tried died of dysentery. :p

Edited to add:
oystermushroom.jpg

Seriously big mushroom.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
wow... aparagus would be nice right about now.

I just cut up some fresh sparkler radishes with some ranch dressing. Then going to munch on those as I get read to grill out this afternoon. Mmmm... sundried tomato chicken sausage and shrimp ka-bobs!!!

Latest posts