The Any Wonderful Food You Made From Your Garden Today Thread!

Veggie PAK

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yesterday I picked 8 1/2 pounds of organic green beans. Today I pressure canned them and got 11 quarts.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Veggie, did you use the recipe in the Ball book? I was all excited to use my pressure canner for beans this year, but someone on here said they come out overcooked....did you try any??

Veggie PAK

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Here is the recipe I have been using for two years. My family is crazy about my snap beans. When I use my pressure canner, I have the heat on high after the jiggler is on, and until the pressure reaches 11 pounds. At THAT point, I cut the heat down some. Unfortunately, with a dial gauge pressure canner, you have to sit and watch it or it will go too high. Personally, I think if it goes too high too long, THAT is when the overcooking happens. I have a gas stove, and I have to adjust the heat several times and watch the pressure constantly. I did better with it this year by leaving the heat on high as described above. Last year, when the gauge started to climb, I cut the heat down so it wouldn't go past the 11 pound mark at all. It took longer to get it there. This year, with the heat on high, I let it get to 11 and then cut the heat down. It is my personal opinion that when you do this, the gauge will still climb to about 13 pounds, and then begin falling back. I believe that's ok. Taking a long time to get to the 11 pounds in the first place is probably where the overcooking comes into play. I'm not saying anybody is right or wrong in their process. Pressure canning is a very temperamental process. I think I will have it down pat after about 30 more years!

Go for it.

"Cold Pack Canning of Green Beans

Green beans can be either hot packed or cold packed. A cold pack is sometimes also called raw pack.

I usually cold (raw) pack. I believe it is quicker, and at my high altitude I need a higher pressure. Since I'd like to cook my beans as little as possible (while still remaining safe) I choose to not blanch before processing.

However, hot packing will allow you to get more in a jar. It is your choice.

For both styles of pack you will need to add canning salt to your jars. 1/2 tsp for pints, 1 tsp for quarts. Salt is completely optional. It is for taste only.

Cold pack (raw pack)

Fill jars tightly with raw beans.

Cover with boiling water leaving 1-inch head space.
After your jars have been filled you will need to remove air bubbles by running a plastic utensil down inside the jar between the jar and the beans. Press lightly to release trapped air. I like to use a orange peeler. You could also use a plastic knife.
Wipe the rims of your jars clean and place canning lids.

Place filled jars in a pressure canner and process according to pressure canning instructions.

Processing times are listed below.

Remember these are for pressure canning not a water bath!

Thats it! How easy is that? And Oh is it gonna taste good come this winter!
Process
Hot or cold pack pints - process for 20 minutes
Hot or cold pack quarts - process for 25 minutes
Adjustments for Pressure Canner
Altitude in Feet Dial Gauge Canner Weighted Gauge Canner
0-1000 10 10"

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really like the cold pack idea- the less cooking the better! I'll have two crops of beans- so I will have a second chance it I need it! Thanks for posting that Veggie!

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
The little leaf cucumbers in my greenhouse are coming in droves, so my granddaughter and I made a crock of Polish dill pickles. We sampled one today and Ava's eyes lit up and she pronounced them "fantastic."

DILL-1.jpg

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
Would love to hear how you did that Jackb....
OK, here is what I did:

1 or 1 1/2 gallon crock
1/2 gal. water
3 or 4 sprigs of dill, washed and broken
Couple of garlic cloves, cut in pieces. * I like garlic so I used six and sliced it.*
1/2 teaspoon of dill seed, optional
1 teaspoon of pickling spice, optional
pinch of crushed red pepper, optonal
1/2 c. kosher salt (salt with no iodine),*** IMPORTANT*** If you use Morton's kosher salt cut the amount in half. It is twice as salty as other brands.
6 to 9 pickling cucumbers, washed

Put half of dill in bottom of crock with garlic and spices. Arrange cucumbers in crock. Put rest of dill on top. Mix salt and water into a solution, and then pour over cucumbers until all are covered. Place a flat dish on top of cucumbers along with something heavy to hold the dish down. They will be ready in 1 to 3 days, depending on how thoroughly pickled you want them. Taste them and let them ferment a little longer for stronger flavor.

Good luck. I will be waiting for your photo.

Latest posts