The Any Wonderful Food You Made From Your Garden Today Thread!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
We're having our first green beans, new potatoes and onions from the garden, all cooked together with bacon drippings. Yummm! Great supper! (Southeast Missouri)

Naughty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
wow - this site has been a godsend to me!

i just harvested my first few zucchinis and yellow squash... it was a surprise - i kept looking at the zukes and seeing flowers - didnt look closer ... then went to get some weeds out of the middle - and found about 8 squash ready to harvest - they were under the leaves....

first thing my 4 year old says "ewwwwwwww i dont like zucchini"

about 4 fresh zucchini muffins for breakfast later (made with my girls fresh eggs too) - and she changed her mind =- zucchinis are good!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't let that zucchini sneak up on you!! It really does appear overnight!! We had the first cuke out of the garden last night- very good! A few more and we'll be on our way to pickles!

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Naughty said:
wow - this site has been a godsend to me!

i just harvested my first few zucchinis and yellow squash... it was a surprise - i kept looking at the zukes and seeing flowers - didnt look closer ... then went to get some weeds out of the middle - and found about 8 squash ready to harvest - they were under the leaves....

first thing my 4 year old says "ewwwwwwww i dont like zucchini"

about 4 fresh zucchini muffins for breakfast later (made with my girls fresh eggs too) - and she changed her mind =- zucchinis are good!
I bet she'd like zucchini candy, too!
http://sweetmissdaisy.typepad.com/sassy_sweet_notes/2010/08/what-to-do-with-a-5-pound-zucchini.html

Naughty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
lesa said:
Don't let that zucchini sneak up on you!! It really does appear overnight!! We had the first cuke out of the garden last night- very good! A few more and we'll be on our way to pickles!
thanks for the heads up - i figured i'd be okay to wait a day or two to "treasure hunt" again - but will keep an eye out - ended up with 2 yellow squash too - but they are so bright you don't miss them as well

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can't remember if you grew cukes- but they do the same thing. I swear yesterday, they were too small - and today they are too big!!

Naughty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have cukes too - so will watch em - am super excited - i see baby tomatoes happening
and baby watermelons

lol my family is sick of pics but i'm proud

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We've had a very good garden this year but it's time to rip everything out and get ready for the fall planting. I really prefer to plant in the fall here in central NC because you're growing out of the heat and into the cool, and out of the bugs into not so many bugs. One thing I was really proud of this year have been my gourmet or English cucumbers. We grew just the right amount with only 2 vines. It kept us in cukes plus we gave some to friends and neighbors. I really like that variety because they can get bigger and not be pithy. We had a bunch that were well over 12 inches, some as many as 16" or more and they were very good. They also don't give you gas and the seeds don't seem to get too hard. You can also eat them with the peels on up to a point. I'd make a cucumber-tomatoe-onion salad just about every day and drizzle it with some simple homemade Italian dressing. Great!!! I'll probably go home and make another tonight...

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, and we've gotten a ton of tomatoes. I only put in 10 plants which 6 are Romas and the other 4 are Andersons. Teresa's been dehydrating the Romas in her big Excalibur and either putting them up in vacuum sealed bags or in big pickle jars. She's made 2 big jars where she filled them with dried tomatoes, a couple of garlic cloves, some basil, and then filled it off with olive oil. The dehydrating process really intensifies the taste and they're really tart. Great on salads and pizzas. The Andersons go into making great big 'mater sandwiches and salads. Wonderful!!!

Latest posts