The Community Garden Project - The Easy Garden Community WEIGHS In!

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
How much do black bean plants produce? I love black beans.
here's a 5X something or another patch of them from last year... there is I think around 9 bushes here... they get tall & a little grabby toward the end traveling across the tops of eachother.
100_3187.JPG

I let them dry on the plant and then shell them... like so...
100_3194.JPG

100_3195.JPG
100_3196.JPG

So.. it's kinda like corn.. if you need quite a few pounds per year like I do, you'll need several dozen bushes.

This year I have them planted a little here and a little there..

dragonlaurel

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'll could grow some fava beans that way maybe. They are so expensive in the stores. Thanks for the info.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Holy wow have I been over come this time of year! It really hard to weigh everything and figure out costs when you have things piling up in baskets needing to be cleaned, refrigerated, frozen or canned!!!!

But I'm managing to keep a note book in the kitchen where I scribble down quite weights as things go past my counter!

I'm guessing you are all just as busy now?!?!

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm just trying to keep up and at least keep a record of what I've done so that I can come back later at a more slow point & tally. I haven't even updated my own websites and stuff I've been so busy gardening and being exhausted from the heat!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dawn, I am right there with you! Its killing me... treat, water, pick bugs, harvest, clean, weigh, store or can, repeat!!!

:barnie

Whats worse, I keep having unexpected company drop in... or my husband is always telling me to TAKE A BREAK because he's always taking a break... and I just want to get it done. I mean really... who else will get it done but me?! :rant

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Over the last few days I figure I've picked about $5 worth of peppers, 2 jalapenos today and 2 Anaheim peppers a couple days ago.

Yay. I have now recouped 10% (total, what with the strawberries and carrots, etc) of my starting costs! LOL!

Whitewater

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
this year has been sort of a bust for me. after all, i've only lived at this property for just over 2 1/2 years and been trying to get lots of stuff established for future harvests. lots of perennials like daylilies, iris and hosta but those really aren't edible to us! :lol: ! i've added 3 apple trees, 2 peach trees, and 2 pear trees (had to replace one that dh hit with the lawn mower :/ ) had to deal with a family of ground hogs too :he

i've already gone through one harvest of radishes, been picking some pickling cukes lately, mini pumpkins are coming along wonderfully well and can harvest a few anytime, i've found 5-6 cantaloupes and 2 watermelons growing and looking good but to small to pick! tomatoes are coming along nicely and a couple are starting to turn! and i'm thinking of pulling up some of the potatoes since their leaves have started to die back some after flowering. my second batch will probably be ready in the early fall. already had to harvest a few onions.

i should have replanted some items but with the ground hogs i didn't chance planting some things again. had to replace my HOT peppers since the leaves were nibbled down to the stems! now the plants are making a comeback but i don't think i will get any peppers from those, just from the replacements that have lots already growing on them. my lettuce was devastated! kale was nibbled on some of the leaves but not bad enough to kill it off for good. green beans were eaten and it is too late to put more in at this point.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Truly, you 've done a lot and you have a lifetime to show your good fortune off, Chick!!! I think you are doing the right thing planning with trees and perennials, we've been doing the same. We've only been here 2 1/2 years as well... and it was bare bones to start here.

In past couple of weeks I've forgotten to update, but I've managed to get about 7 1/2 lbs of tomatoes, 5 lbs of figs, cantaloupe, strawberries, beans and thai chilies.

I have a huge boom of tomatoes coming on now as we speak, so can't wait to get the next weigh in, and update my spread sheet!!!!

:D