The Community Garden Project - The Easy Garden Community WEIGHS In!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
vfem said:
Ohhh... veggie chips! :p Dehydrator is now on my wish list. ;)

I was suggested to make some korean pancakes from zukes yesterday. I've already made zuke bread, so the pancakes are next, probably with dinner tonight. These are like the potato pancakes, think savory.... you will add a bunch of asian inspired ingredients, and dip these after a fry on the stove, into soy sauce. Mmmm...

I did get some cabbage from a neighbor too... so veggies are NOT a problem here these days. Haven't bought ANY from the store in a few weeks now.
Can we have that recipe for the Korean pancakes? Sounds good.
The lady who gave it to me just rambled everything off rather quickly... but I will see her on Saturday and ask her to write it down. I am DYING to try it myself. :D

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am going to go prepare and plant my community plot today (I hope). I have been sadly neglecting it for a while because I didn't have any irrigation set up and simply couldn't get over there every day to water like it needed. My husband got irrigation set up this last weekend so now I need to get off my duff and go plant! I think I will put in some pickling cucumbers, maybe a couple peppers, and a squash or two. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Well, I did make it to the garden and I did weed out the bed (except for where the strawberries are flourishing), and put in a few plants. I ended up putting in a couple watermelons and some tomatoes; a black krim, a green zebra, a pineapple, and a mortgage lifter. I forgot to bring the camera with me, so I will have to stop by there tomorrow and take some pictures.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Good luck potter! I can see why its difficult... its hard enough for me to water when I need to and the garden is in the back yard.

So I've been typing up everything into a new file (thanks wifezilla!) and adding subtracting, adding things I forgot... figuring out market value...

I figured out I was a bit behind to where I thought I was, but thats ok... just taught me to keep up better.

So without all the details (I'll upload to google later)

My garden costs are $460 for the year (oops!)

and my Garden output so far: $262

My chickens/ducks have cost me $121

They have laid me $21.55 worth of eggs (My silkies go broody so much I lose my mind.)

Ok I have uploaded my document to Google Documents: Garden Spreadsheet 2010

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I harvested the last of my broccoli yesterday (not counting the side shoots as they emerge).

Here's my numbers:

Lets see, I spent about $2.95 on a pack of seeds Packman Hybrid. (And haven't planted them all--the other half will be my fall crop.)

Flats and cell packs I reused from last year.

About $3.50 at Wally World for a bag of seed starter mix.

I transplanted my seedlings into a particularly fertile patch of my garden where I had penned 35 Cornish X broilers last spring.

21 heads of broccoli multiplied by approximately $3.00 per head for what I would pay for them at the grocery when not on saleequals $63.00 worth of broccoli.

I saved $56.55 growing my own. Score! :weee

6486_dscf3285_web.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice going, Journey. That broccoli looks fabulous! We have been eating rhubarb, garlic scapes, beets, and lettuce from the garden. So wonderful to be out in the garden harvesting dinner! Priceless!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
What's it worth?

4-9" X 9" rhubarb crisps
10#'s of asparagus maybe 20#'s
1/2 # of radishs
6#'s of snap peas
6#'s of strawberries
too much to count on winter onions, garlic, etc

Spent about $14 plus 3 hours of tilling. When beans, sweet corn, tomatoes, peppers, okra kick in, I'll be in money then.....:lol:

Now if I could just get my wife, daughter, & son to pay up.........

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Are you growing your stuff without chemical fertilizers?
It matters on price if you are comparing your stuff to organics or commercial produce.

Strawberries in my area are going for $1.98/lb
Snap peas are $2.98.lb

As for the rhubarb crisps....hummm
What are the church bake sales charging for these now days?

Getting the wife and kids to pay up? Good luck with that :gig

dragonlaurel

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I just harvested my first stuff for the season. Snipped a few handfuls of basil to go with my pasta. :throw
I saw 7 or 8 baby tomatoes on my Roma bushes. :) Lots of little seedlings up too. I'm afraid to weed, till the stuff gets bigger. Don't want to take out the wrong ones.

ETA- My stuff is almost organic. Not sure what the price would be for basil. It was probably equal to the amount in those baggies of fresh herbs.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I harvest 2lbs of new potatoes yesterday... turned out to be ALL the potatoes I could even find!!! :( Oh well, I will plant some more this week.

I also got another 2 lbs of crookneck squash and tomorrow or Thursday I should be able to harvest my first Zuke that has been getting HUGE!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I still have so far to go before I can harvest things besides lettuce and herbs :p

I am seeing good progress though. Lots of blooms on the maters along with some fruit starting to show red, blossoms on my pumpkin, itty bitty sprouts on the brussels, new growth on the cukes....

Patience patience patience

Here is my facebook album with some recent garden pics...
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1352524&l=ab8d3c60d2&id=1398880757

Latest posts