The Community Garden Project - The Easy Garden Community WEIGHS In!

PotterWatch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I picked a bunch of beans again today. I don't have a scale to weigh anything with though... guess I need to get one.

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My updated list which now includes lots of cucumbers & starting with sweet peppers.

2010 Garden Expenses Running Total: $245.00
2010 Garden Harvest Value: $163.25+ (includes market sales)
Updated 6/17/10

Values in parenthesis reflect package types and organic values available at the local grocery store or what they sell for at the Farmer's Market....

Mixed Leaf Lettuce, Baby Spinach, Aurugula, Romaine & Iceberg - $48.00 (28 bags @ $4 ea)
Radishes - $4.00 (4 bunches @ $1 ea)
Rainbow Baby Carrots - $7.50 (30 @ $.25/ea)
Green Onions - $10 (4 bunches)
Green Beans - $20 (10 lbs)
Cucumbers - $15 (45 @ 3 for 1)
Banana Peppers - $2 (1)
Strawberries - $21 (7.5 lbs)
Squash Blossoms - $3 (1 dozen)

Herbs - measured in bouquets or small handfuls
Oregano - 5
Basil - 12
Parsley - 4
Sage - 5
Cilantro - 3

Last night I put up 9 Quarts of pickles, and half a dozen half pints of relishes. The thing about those are.. they are worth WAAAAAY more than the price of raw cukes... so I haven't decided if the value of SOME cukes are "raw" and perhaps the others that are processed should be valued at the processed rate. Which in this case means about $45 worth of pickles... instead of $15 worth of cucumbers.... hmmmmmmmmmmm
what do you think?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dawnsuiter..I would count the cost of processed. It should count how much you are saving. And your saving alot with those pickles. :)

Mary

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ninnymary your right!!! I've made the adjustments & added my market sales values and tabulated my herbs too while I was at it.... I recant my previous totals and exchange my harvest values as follows:

2010 Garden Expenses Running Total: $255.00
2010 Garden Harvest Value: $237.50...

Values in parenthesis reflect package types and Organic values available at the local grocery store or Farmers Market.

Mixed Leaf Lettuce, Baby Spinach, Aurugula, Romaine & Iceberg - $48.00 (28 bags @ $4 ea)
Radishes - $4.00 (4 bunches @ $1 ea)
Rainbow Baby Carrots - $7.50 (30 @ $.25/ea)
Green Onions - $10 (4 bunches)
Green Beans - $20 (10 lbs)
Cucumbers Fresh- $9 (27 @ 3 for 1)
Banana Peppers - $2 (1)
Strawberries - $21 (7.5 lbs)
Squash Blossoms - $3 (1 dozen)

Herbs - measured in bouquets or small handfuls... about half a typical clamshell store bought package
Oregano - $10 (5 @ $2/ea)
Basil - $24 (12 @ $2/ea)
Parsley - $8 (4 @ $2/ea)
Sage - $10 (5 @ $2/ea)
Cilantro - $6 (3 @ $2/ea)

Processed & Preserved Foods
Pickles - $45 (9 quarts @ $5 each)
Relish - $10 (5 half pints @ $2)
:ya :weee

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If I process something, it becomes a processed food cost, and I change the raw price by removing it and adding it what the cost of a jar is.

dragonlaurel

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
:ya My Yard Long / Asparagus Beans are starting to produce. :celebrate I saw one baby one 2 days ago. Went back today, and picked 4 good sized ones. Stir fried with noodles - yum. I don't have a scale but I will have to figure out an equivalent value.

They saved me $ 10.00, since that's what the Oriental restaurant charges for the buffet. It's the only place in town that I've found them at. I eat at least a plate full of the stir fried long beans usually.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
:ya My Yard Long / Asparagus Beans are starting to produce. :celebrate I saw one baby one 2 days ago. Went back today, and picked 4 good sized ones. Stir fried with noodles - yum. I don't have a scale but I will have to figure out an equivalent value.

They saved me $ 10.00, since that's what the Oriental restaurant charges for the buffet. It's the only place in town that I've found them at. I eat at least a plate full of the stir fried long beans usually.
LOL... the most expensive beans EVER! :lol:

Speaking of which... my green beans are in as well. But they are too small for picking that I saw yesterday. My blackbeans are in too, but I have to sit a long time and wait on those... they need to dry. ;)

dragonlaurel

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Vfem-
I was so happy to find my bean starts at Wallyworld. Spending 3 bucks pays back very well on these. It was a 9 cell pack, but had 11 starts in it. :lol:

Keep checking those green beans. They get a little carried away. How much do black bean plants produce? I love black beans.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
Vfem-
I was so happy to find my bean starts at Wallyworld. Spending 3 bucks pays back very well on these. It was a 9 cell pack, but had 11 starts in it. :lol:

Keep checking those green beans. They get a little carried away. How much do black bean plants produce? I love black beans.
I had 4 seeds from a trade, sadly only 1 sprouted. They are bush style, so stay short. They are producing very well, there are at least 2 dz beans on the plant now, with another 2 dz flowers going. So I'm hoping more then enough to have a ton of seed for next year if not enough but for one meal.

dragonlaurel

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'll have to have lots more garden space before I can plant enough to stock up a years supply. Thanks for the info.