The Community Garden Project - The Easy Garden Community WEIGHS In!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:tools :tools :tools :tools :tools :tools :tools :tools :tools :tools :tools

Ok first of all, the project was designed with home size plots in mind. I'm trying to get the little guy interested by doing this project! You know, people who may only end up with 4 pots on a patio or apartment deck. Someone who's afraid to go BIG right away.

Also, if we start factoring in our mortgage costs, the cost of fuel driving to the nursery to pick up plants, the cost of a shovel we bought 3 years ago, it gets ridiculous. Too many numbers that aren't exactly affecting our individual crops per say. We're not planning on profiting.

I want everyone to factor in costs for 2010 only, including new equipment. However, trying to factor in a tractor purchased 6 years ago isn't going to ring as fair or true to everyone else. Especially since older equipment depletes in value over time. That $20 shovel from 3 years ago probably isn't worth that now! So not a fair value to add at this point.

Plus, as this is aimed toward small scale, our homes and land were not an investment in a garden... the garden is an added benefit to a home!

What I am trying to get from this IS valuing your time, your grocery list and your health.

Again, we know first year costs are always great, even for a home gardener... some people even hire people to come set it up for them! If by any means this is your first year, don't you want to see these numbers and recoop some of your initial investment. So first timers, add in those costs now.

None-first timers... its just not practical to factor in costs previously, because you don't know how much you've recooped already. I don't think anyone else weighed their crops last year, or the year before and priced out the market up until now. So I'm hoping maybe you've already broke even! :thumbsup

I want the 'Average Joe' to walk away from their garden not only feeling good, but seeing just how good they did. To goto the grocery store and laugh in the face of $3.99 a lb tomatoes!!! HA HA HA :D

BUT, everyone is welcome to join in... if you have higher operating costs, bigger land, more invested and greater purchases... please feel free to edit the spreadsheet to fit your needs! I didn't want to start off with something complicated to scare people off... but I want everyone to get the numbers and learning out of this they can get. So, join in and make this work for your gardening experience...

As for labor, I work for free in my garden. My pay is the sweet sweet taste of my fresh meals from my yard! :drool

If you pay someone to work for you, factor it in on your spread sheet... there is plenty of room to add it in. :throw

We're all at different levels here!
:bee

Look how tiny Wifezilla's plot is! She's done an amazing amount in such a small area... I can't wait to see her numbers in comparison to her space! :woot

:watering

jamespm_98

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Vfem,

Wow, I had started a ledger in my garden journel for this year so I have YTD expenditures already. A couple of questions for your project:

I have small flock of chickens(4 birds), would you want this information included (feed purchased, eggs collected, fertilizer produced)? The birds are part of my gardening scheme and I had planned on using the compost/fertilizer/eggs as a credit since my goal is to not have to purchase any outside organic fertilizers this year.

I plan on saving more seed this year, should this be credited as well with market value?

I am tracking these for my own purpose, just want to make sure you would want the info included so mine will be on par with others.

warmfuzzies

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
This sounds fun! I started to keep track last year, but got overwhelmed and I gave up :D a spreadsheet would really help.

I will be doubling my garden, to over 1,500 square feet. It will be fun, but a lot of work. I am also going to rows this year instead of trying to do raised beds with out frames, which diddnt work for me at all.

It is going to be enough bigger that we will be disking with the tractor instead of trying to till it, so that is an expense my FIL will pick up I am sure. :lol:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I think we needs Hattie's input about space, too, Wifezilla. I understand that for decades, now, Europeans have been using both front and back yards for vegetable and flower gardens, since they try to make the best use of limited space. DH's cousin & husband lived in Belgium for a few years (when he worked for Caterpillar) and had lots of stories to tell about the "natives." (Made ME want to visit!!) :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Whatever you would like to add to the spread sheet for you to keep track of, please do! The more info you want that better!

I'm only keep records or certain things for me. And everyone else is keeping records of what is best for their situation too.

The spreadsheet I uploaded I think is the easiest and the least amount of information needed. But everyone should feel free to add more.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Does anyone want to start posting their garden/plot sizes here?

Anyone have BIG plans this year for a new crop they think is going to blow last year's harvest away?

I think its good to share some of our plans here... we want to see you exceed your goals!!! So what are your goals?

:D

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I need to get out the tape measure and start seeing how much space I really have to work with. I am also planning more beds, so not sure when I will actually know the total :D

I do have a spreadsheet on google docs with my expenses so far. I am still under $100 and many of the costs are onetime expenses...lights for the starters, containers, etc...

One I can actually SEE the ground I may get more motivated :D

As for the crop I have good hopes for... tomatoes. They are not easy to grow here, but my starters are healthy, I have wall-o-water materials (aka 2 liter bottles) and I have enough different varieties that SOMETHING should produce :D

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My first goal is to did out from underneath the foot of snow that fell yesterday! LOL :lol:
(plus the 6 inches that fell 2 days ago, 4 inches that fell 3 days ago, ect.)

I won't be able to see my garden until at least the middle of March. And then plant at the end of April (very optimistic) or May.

P.S. I've already spent over $200 on seeds/plants. :rolleyes:

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Now I'm still adding more bed room, we'll be planting the front yard quite a bit this year. My rose garden will soon have tomatoes, marigolds and cabbage! :lol:

I did spend $15 so far on peat pots and seed starting soil... and a pack of poppies and radish at walmart. But I got those a couple weeks ago. It appears I may have to go back and get another 20 peat pots with the green house/ cold frame on the deck now. I can add a ton more!!!! :watering

Augustmomx2

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
What a great spreadsheet and idea :thumbsup I live in a suburban/urban area and this will be perfect!

Count me in...

Latest posts