The Great 2018 Northeaster(s)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stormy weather.

This time of year, I begin to be very impatient with being "imprisoned," indoors. The weather here isn't terrible but I have never enjoyed the cold. Daylight has only now reached the levels of comfort. The soil is soggy and all shady areas are covered with snow. Thank Heavens for evergreens ..!

I spend time with cartoons and funny pictures to brighten my mood. And, I look at cabin and comfortable sheds that people have built. If I have to be indoors (!), why can't it be in a pleasant outdoor setting? Shelter, food, water, companionship ...

New England cabin.JPG
Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
People are turning crazy !! last night I was at home depot, there was a group of people milling around by customer service desk. All of a sudden a employee brings out 6 generators on a dolly. All I can say is 20 people fighting over 6 generators wasn't pretty, I left before the blood flowed. This morning at gas station 2 woman screaming at each other over who got to pump first. Afternoon i wanted to go to supermarket cruised lot looking for parking space, more fight over parking. In a long term emergency only the super violent would survive.

How much longer will the electricity be off? How crazy!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stormy weather.

This time of year, I begin to be very impatient with being "imprisoned," indoors. The weather here isn't terrible but I have never enjoyed the cold. Daylight has only now reached the levels of comfort. The soil is soggy and all shady areas are covered with snow. Thank Heavens for evergreens ..!

I spend time with cartoons and funny pictures to brighten my mood. And, I look at cabin and comfortable sheds that people have built. If I have to be indoors (!), why can't it be in a pleasant outdoor setting? Shelter, food, water, companionship ...

View attachment 24940
Steve

yeah, stir crazy, cabin fever, whatever you want to call it.

this morning made strawberry shortcakes. winter strawberries from CA, had them cleaned up and crushed, tasted them, bland, dumped a half a pint of strawberry freezer jam in there. ah! much better.

i've been busy the past few days dealing with various things, none of which are very important in the greater scheme of things, but it does keep me occupied.

i also have thousands of computer programs (source code all included) that i can look at, try to fix, or just mess around with.

most recent game which is time waster for me is called gfpoken (gerfingerpoken). at present old version is so very tiny on my screen that i wanted to try to update the graphics/program so it is double and i can actually see it without having to change my monitor resolution/size... which got me into this other program called blender, and gimp (which i already know how to use) and then reading docs on all sort of other things and then off into other tangents. this is all prime winter stuff for me because it keeps me from sleeping all day or going nuts with not having something for my brain to chew on.

in other more gardening sort of news. have some new peas/beans from a friend in the south. most of them are unlikely to do well here but, i'll put some of them in and see how they fare, but the more fun is that now i get to select a bunch to send back to him for him to try out.

getting rid of the old computer parts means i actually now have room for getting the beans back out and i have a nice huge new sorting tray/box top which will help me out there.

spring is-a-coming... hang in there @digitS'

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Unless you have a castle , moat and private army. You will not be able to defend your food. You might be able to defend from a few at a time but what would you do when a band of a few hundred show up?
You don't let anybody know you have it. Head for your country house! Your nephew would be right behind you.... BTW, how is his baby doing? How old now?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The stores first, then the storehouses ... "valuables" will be robbed from neighbors: cash, jewelry, guns, expensive pairs of shoes.

By the time 90% of the thieves realize that they have nothing of real value, another harvest will be coming out of your garden, where it has gone unrecognized. The cellar will have been dug, racks for dehydrating and a grain crib built.

The neighbors will be enjoying block parties with barbecue chicken.

Steve

Latest posts