The Great 2018 Northeaster(s)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
in the country you always know the neighbors you want to band with for protection if the s**t hits the fan. we are a bit too exposed here on this corner for effective defense but the family out back would be first choice as he is military. i can shoot. won't want to, but would do it to protect family.

once the worst of it is done then likely could go back to staying here unless roving gangs were out from the cities. distance gives you a bit of a buffer and warning time.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The stores first, then the storehouses ... "valuables" will be robbed from neighbors: cash, jewelry, guns, expensive pairs of shoes.

By the time 90% of the thieves realize that they have nothing of real value, another harvest will be coming out of your garden, where it has gone unrecognized. The cellar will have been dug, racks for dehydrating and a grain crib built.

The neighbors will be enjoying block parties with barbecue chicken.

Steve

@Nyboy will havvahide 'is shooze! oven may actually be a really good place. who ever looks there? :)

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our fit hits the Shan plan is fairly simple. I buy 5 gallon food grade buckets and use them for bulk food storage. We fill with rice beans sugar and grains. Also buy like coffee beans ,flavor packs and other items and seal them with the food saver and pack in buckets just in case you never know. DW keeps 1/2 gallon jars up in kitchen that I fill for her out of the buckets when they get low. Then when we buy more we just dump it in the bucket in the store room. Once a year I try to take an empty bucket and start dumping the beans ,rice ,sugar, and grain to kind of rotate the stock. We don’t keep a mass supply any more it took us years to whittle down our Y2K stock lol. I am not to worried about the bands of people spilling out to the country side to much , I think it is a remote possibility. But I live near the end of a pretty well fortified dirt road with plenty of capable neighbors on the way to our place, also a hunting club about a mile south on the way in here. I have a ton o fire power here though I guess if came to that. I do have a really nice .22 magnum that is very accurate to about 150/175 yards.i have bought cases of ammo for it over the years and have near 10,000 rounds now. Don’t see needing it but have if ever I do. Does anybody here still have Y2K stuff.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
... Does anybody here still have Y2K stuff.

Dad probably does, knowing him... will ask him next time i talk to him if i remember.

we've gotten rid of about 25 cases of extra things the past few years and cut back on what we're putting up. i shifted to things i like to eat and like them more fresh. dry beans i can never grow enough for my own mental illness soothing :) (sorting them is like a worry stone for me)...

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
calling for more white stuff late Monday going into very early Wednesday morning. so far predicted at 6+ inches but still too early to be sure of those numbers. i'm lucky enough we don't loose power at my house, at least not for long. we're on the same grid with the hospital across the street from my neighborhood. Thursday night the power did go out for all of 5 minutes when i was trying to get dinner started. already had the gas stove turned on & up to temp so i continued making it when power came back up. must have been getting the lines connected near the house somewhere.

the biggest worry for us is the internet going out. lucky for us it didn't go down for long. we cut the cable years ago & our cell phones don't have a huge data plan, it helps to keep our expenses in check. we do have one of those weather radios that we can crank if we needed to keep it running. hubby has a way to call into a radio station with his phone to listen. we use the house wi-fi as much as possible to do anything with the phones.

i just wish the storms would choose other days besides Tuesdays & Thursdays to hit us this year. my work involves getting most benefits processed & paid for our employer groups on those 2 days of the week! it would be great if my employer could let us take home a laptop to work from home on those lousy weather days. but nooooo...still stuck in the 20th century!

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
14" forecast here, too. I don't mind that it is a Tuesday, as those classes are so poorly behaved. And it is a particularly busy day, with bus duty at the end, and we are staying into the evening on Wednesday and Thursday for conferences. It will give me a chance to rest up. I guess I am getting old! :p

Latest posts