The Life of a Lotus Picture ~ Updated It's over! ~

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, today I got my first lotus seeds. I was told they are a red lotus, but we won't know until they grow. Been wanting some so badly!!!

:weee

So I found a couple sites online with documented growth from other lotus growers, so I'm just going in a simple step by step as it makes sense to me.

My lotus seeds were already scarified when I got them. Though I couldn't see the 'cream' center the sites tell me to look for so I could stop if I had done them... so I hope its enough!

lotus1.jpg

I have 1 site telling me to use hot water (not boiling) to absorb the water faster and giving the plant warmer temps helps a lot too. So I added hot water, and shook around the bottom. Why shake it around? I don't know, I just did it because one site mentioned it. I did read on a couple sites that I would see a sprout crack the shell within 24 hours... or up to a week.

lotus2.jpg

Now as you can see.... I have them all in a clear water bottle. Its a bit difficult to make out each seed from the photo, but I have 3 on the bottom and 2 floaters. Floaters have a less likely chance of sprouting, and most likely won't from what I read... but we're going to try to get all 5 if we can. I got a HUGE pond and I'm hoping to get a good amount of plants out there!

lotus3.jpg

Now here on my sink shelf is where they will stay until they sprout! Who knows... may even get one to do an update tomorrow! LOL

(Eventually I will set up a webblog to document this further. I've been planning on starting one to document the creation of my english cottage garden.)

Wish me LUCK!!!!!!!!

:throw

Edited to fix my sucky spelling!!!! Grrrrrrrr

allabout

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The lotus flower starts as a small flower down at the bottom of a pond in the mud and muck. It slowly grows up towards the waters surface continually moving towards the light. Once it come to the surface of the water the lotus flower begins to blossom and turn into a beautiful flower.

Thus a lotus flower or blossom can represent a hard time in life that has been overcome.

Red Lotus (Skt. kamala; Tib: pad ma chu skyes): This signifies the original nature and purity of the heart (hrdya). It is the lotus of love, compassion, passion and all other qualities of the heart.

I wish you much luck with your lotus.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am very sad to say as of this morning, no. I have 5 floating seeds instead. :/ I suppose their chances are going downhill.

Have you grown Lotus before? ....from your picture I assumed you'd be the first to respond... and what a WONDERFUL response by the way. I never knew any of that until now.

Now what I can say is that 3 of the 5 are very 'lumpy' and 'swollen' in appearance. I have my fingers crossed for a crack and sprout in the next 24 hours. I was just concerned since the beginning they were not scarified enough?

allabout

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
When it was scarified were you able to see the creamy colored inside? That just speeds the process. If it is lumpy...that is a good sign that it is about to sprout. I'm sure you have done your homework...but maybe this link will help you along:

http://www.faculty.sbc.edu/simpson/Lotus/index.htm

I do not grow them. At my local nursery, I spend hours playing with my little ones at a beautiful bathtub full of lotus. The tadpoles swim among them in the spring and summer time. We love the water gardens area.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I used to spend a lot of time in awe over water gardens at the nursery too. I asked my husband when we moved if he would create me a little japanese pond.... he laughed. Then by sheer luck we found a house with a huge actual fish filled, duck loving pond!

Now my 2 biggest places I want to garden in the most is the pond and the raised beds of the veggies. I tell ya, its like a dream come true finding this place.

You know, I just can't stop picking up the bottle and checking on those seeds!!! So exciting!

I soon as I see a crack I'll get photos. I've been trying to document everything. In fact, I started a blog tonight to document the entire creation of my my gardens.

Thank you so much for the link... I've been bouncing around online researching what to do next.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I couldn't resist one more look before bed... we have a crack!!!!

lotus4.jpg

Latest posts