The Life of a Lotus Picture ~ Updated It's over! ~

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here it is!!! The first unfolding leaf from my lotus!!!
http://fromseed.blogspot.com/

lotus17.jpg

Its going to be open any time now. Just trying to be patient here. I'm glad I updated my light source, it seems to have made the difference. I've also been moving the water in the container and adding a little fresh hot water each day. After these leaves open (on all the plants) I'm going to add in a little fertlizer for water plants I have. This should help strengthen them up some until I can get them moved to the deck at the end of March.... then over to the pond perhaps, in May?!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It has been exciting to watch your lotus growing adventure. I am so glad that you have a true leaf unfurling! Keep us all updated as the process continues. :D

Athena

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I too have been keeping an eye on this thread....

Your doing a great job vfem....
I look forward to future posts...

and I love the photos... (For some reason many of the photos on TEG are X'd out, but I can see yours.... Whatever medium you use, the Air Force isn't filtering...Hooray!!!)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think most people use photobucket on here... and a lot of businesses and stuff block that site from use. However, I purchased a private server for use and my own domains. So I get to use them for anything I want. (At $60 a year and $6.95 for domain use!) I would be crushed if no one could see what I paid so much for! LOL

Yeah, the leaf is even MORE open today.

Going to take more photos....

Oh, and my snapdragons are MONSTERS already!!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So here we are... OPEN leaves :cool:

lotus18.jpg

lotus19.jpg

Look at all those new shoots coming up trying to create even more leaves!!! WHOOOHOOOO

I gotta go post how well my other gardens and plants are doing elsewhere.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah, I really think it was changing out my grow light that did it. I also moved them over the heating vent so it stays warmer on that side of the window.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh dear oh dear.... I have to update this. (Pictures later today)

So... with all the craziness I kinda let the lotus go for awhile. They seemed fine in their ways. Creating leaf after leaf and letting the older weaker ones die. I wasn't sure that was right though. Then I noticed it was time for the water plant fertlizer so I added a tiny bit to each jug.

Well, by last week I noticed each jug had a thick green coating on the sides and floating on top, and finally getting on the leaves!!!!

I skimmed all 3 jugs to find out that one plant was completely rotten down to the root.... and it was done for :hit

The last 2 lotus we changed out more then 1/2 the water, scrubbed the green growth out as much as we could and checked the root system. They were both very strongly rooted still. In fact one had a new shoot with a leave coming up at the time and is doing much better.

We only have 2 lotus left.

I'm moving them out to the deck today for the afternoon as it will be 74 out. I'd like to start hardening them off. For they will be in the pond at the end of the month I think.

Wish me luck!!!! :fl

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good luck, vfem! Sorry to hear about the misfortune you had with the one lotus. If it makes you feel any better, I always start 3 of anything I want to have 1 left of. Usually I get better results than 1 out of 3, but it is good to keep such a large buffer.

If you don't mind a suggestion, I would recommend you keep one in a large pot (of water -- plug the holes at the bottom of the pot and make sure it is a glazed or plastic pot) and put one in the pond. Lotuses do fine in pots and if it is in a pot you can protect it a little easier . . . you did say you had ducks right? Plus the water in the pot will warm up faster than the pond will, and lotuses like it warm in my experience.

Wishing you continued success! :D

Edited for typo. :p

Latest posts