The Life of a Lotus Picture ~ Updated It's over! ~

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks Drake. They will both end up in the pond eventually. I'm not too afraid of my ducks with them.... I only have 2 (a 3rd one will be out with them in a few weeks) and my neighbor has like 5 or 6 out there. Its a 2 acre pond and they really don't seem to mess with the plants I have out there too much. You do see them out there fights and wrestling in the water over fish mostly.

I also don't have the pot space. I have something like 8 pots on my deck now... and two more HUGE ones to come for all my herbs and night garden stuff. I can just imagine my daughter playing in the lotus pot! LOL

I'm really not disappointed in what I have. I started with 5 seeds, 2 didn't sprout.... 3 took really well, and I lost one to a tiny accident on my part.

If these go over well this year (more about learning) I will order more and try again next year.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't think you were at fault for the loss of that lotus . . . it sounded more like just natural attrition to me . . . that it was weak anyway and susceptible.

I do like the image of your daughter playing (safely!) in the lotus pot, but maybe I'm just a trouble-maker at heart . . . because the more I think about it, the more I imagine mud getting everywhere. LOL I guess this is why I am partial to ducks . . . it is just their nature and I don't have to let them in the house at the end of the day. :p

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, I tried all I could... the nasty black growth has clung to and rotted every shoot it tried to send up. Finally it has rotted out the root system... even with regular water changes and constant skimming of the water. I could not save my lotus. This project is offically finished for this year.

Maybe next winter I will try again... and I've throw out the 'water fertilizer' I was suggested to use. I really don't think it even needed it.

Latest posts