The Little Easy Bean Network - Get New Beans Varieties Nearly Free

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm slipping on here before schoolwork. Wow! This is going to take a long time to look through! I like the Venezuelan variety at the top of page 4, reminds me of the seed coat pattern that you'd find on some sort of scarlet runner bean.

From the looks of it my bean crown's going to be about 3 ft. high (I think a yard in metric?) with a live bush bean growing from the top! With probably about 1,000 different varieties crammed in there.

I'm going bean crazy right now...
crazy.gif

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
TheSeedObsesser said:
I got there before but it came up in - spanish? Thanks for the link.

Hal said:
marshallsmyth said:
lol, will someone tell this ole neanderthal the webpage?
http://isa.ciat.cgiar.org/urg/main.do?language=en

You click collections, bean collection and then you can search by descriptors and photos are included for all accessions.
I noticed if I give the direct link it some times doesn't show up in english.
Don't thank me yet, the sheer amount of beans might send us all insane. I have spent days browsing accessions at this point.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Did I understand correctly that these bean samples are not for sale? Because, there would surely be a run on some of those!

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't know. Bluejay got his from there, I think. And it has a little link at the top right that says "how to add materials to your request." So it sounds like they're for sale. I'm sure if they are there is a limit though.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Did I understand correctly that these bean samples are not for sale? Because, there would surely be a run on some of those!
Correct

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Look third down, page 3,743.

So I'm guessing that they do give out samples, just not to the everyday gardener?

My Kenyan neighbor, Aloys (Allah-weez) is a high preist from Nairobi, the capital. He was looking for seed to start a farm for his small village back in Kenya. This was a while ago, and we just went out and bought him a large baggy of crap seed. Do you think that he could obtain a sample of some of these. I already plan to give him some of those Mrocuimere beans that Blujay gave me. (Thanks Bluejay!)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
:weee

Went to bed at midnight looking at these pages of beans...

Up at 5 am to look at these pages of beans...

=====

What's BayMule gonna tell me?

=====

Hal, Bean planting time for me starts in April or so.
I can plant beans to as late as August 1st.

The growth of the season mostly stops by late October.
One thing or another often finishes the season by mid November's very mild quick frosts, such as the Pocket Gophers finding their way in.
My first killing frost this year was around the last day of November.
Last year's first killing frost was December 3rd.
My garden is located in a mixed forest in northern California, in a clearing.
Shade buildup increases from September's equinox to December's solstice, then decreases to March's equinox.
Some tall trees to the south have recently been cut as they were hazard trees affected by the sudden death Oak tree syndrome.
This portion of the forest is predominately Fir and Oak.
There is one fine Redwood tree to the west of my garden. It is probably the only well growing Redwood tree in a radius of 40 miles. The Redwood forest nearest here is generally to the west near Willits.
The soil in my garden is based on forest compost and ash. I'm working on reducing the ash percentage with a few areas still to do. This makes a very fluffy textured soil that I can push my hand down.
My soil needs ph testing and will do this.
The forest compost is likely on the acidic side, and the ash may well be on the alkaline side. This makes me concerned.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
TheSeedObsesser said:
Look third down, page 3,743.

So I'm guessing that they do give out samples, just not to the everyday gardener?

My Kenyan neighbor, Aloys (Allah-weez) is a high preist from Nairobi, the capital. He was looking for seed to start a farm for his small village back in Kenya. This was a while ago, and we just went out and bought him a large baggy of crap seed. Do you think that he could obtain a sample of some of these. I already plan to give him some of those Mrocuimere beans that Blujay gave me. (Thanks Bluejay!)
Mrociumere is a good start as it originates from Kenya.
CIAT have been doing some good work in Africa, they have been working on providing bean varieties with increased nutritional value and better disease resistance ect. They could probably provide some information on where to get those varieties over in Africa.
This link also might indicate that Koronis Purple would grow alright http://marigatmaarifa.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/normal-0-false-false-false-en-sg-x-none.html
I am curious to find out how it made its way to Africa.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:

Went to bed at midnight looking at these pages of beans...

Up at 5 am to look at these pages of beans...

=====

What's BayMule gonna tell me?

=====

Hal, Bean planting time for me starts in April or so.
I can plant beans to as late as August 1st.

The growth of the season mostly stops by late October.
One thing or another often finishes the season by mid November's very mild quick frosts, such as the Pocket Gophers finding their way in.
My first killing frost this year was around the last day of November.
Last year's first killing frost was December 3rd.
My garden is located in a mixed forest in northern California, in a clearing.
Shade buildup increases from September's equinox to December's solstice, then decreases to March's equinox.
Some tall trees to the south have recently been cut as they were hazard trees affected by the sudden death Oak tree syndrome.
This portion of the forest is predominately Fir and Oak.
There is one fine Redwood tree to the west of my garden. It is probably the only well growing Redwood tree in a radius of 40 miles. The Redwood forest nearest here is generally to the west near Willits.
The soil in my garden is based on forest compost and ash. I'm working on reducing the ash percentage with a few areas still to do. This makes a very fluffy textured soil that I can push my hand down.
My soil needs ph testing and will do this.
The forest compost is likely on the acidic side, and the ash may well be on the alkaline side. This makes me concerned.
Last of the seed collecting from my plants should be towards the end of May. I should hopefully be able to get something to you to plant thanks to the reversed seasons.

Latest posts