The Little Easy Bean Network - Get New Beans Varieties Nearly Free

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bluejay77 said:
Hal

I think the green and black bean has an accession number of G27313. I think it's from Ecuador. We are all going to collect so many beans we are going to burry oiurself in them.
We'll be up to our eyeballs in beans. I don't think I've gotten to the point where I've had a dream about my garden or beans.
Yeah your right about the accession number, I originally found it in one of the photos that had just the right angle.
All of the CIAT beans seem to have an accession starting with a G.

As for G26338 it is a close match and maybe might vary depending on conditions?
Also JACKPOT! G26650 from Colombia would seem to be that lovely zebra like lima!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Holy Cats Batman, they have 36,000 unique bean varieties, some which seem to have variations. I bet it adds up to 100,000 varieties!

I'm looking right now at "other" colors, and "vulgaris" species. Many are green dry beans.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Holy Cats Batman, they have 36,000 unique bean varieties, some which seem to have variations. I bet it adds up to 100,000 varieties!

I'm looking right now at "other" colors, and "vulgaris" species. Many are green dry beans.
A lot of the green ones seem to be from Africa, I am finding trends with certain seed coats and patterns. There is also an olive green seeded pole snap bean from Portugal that seems to have yellow pods perhaps, and certainly has my interest.
Marshall you will notice they have many land races and if you grew them out you'd net a whole ton of new varieties purely through segregation alone. There is some seriously amazing potential there mind you I'd keep some of them mix as well.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Crikey, I'm up way past my sleep time looking at these.

A person would need 40 acres just to grow 3 plants of each...

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
accession g23786b is stunning and looks to have 3 segregatables!

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
accession g23786b is stunning and looks to have 3 segregatables!
That is just three visible ones, there would no doubt be more lurking behind those seed coats waiting to express themselves.
There are colors and markings I have never seen before in this massive catalogue of accessions.
I had made a list as I found some grey ones both solid and one with blue spots over the grey near the hilum and also some other amazing colours but I accidentally closed the page and can't resort through 313 pages of beans haha.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
I kind of think I found the CIAT website but can't find the pages you guys must be looking at. Can you post the websites?

Oh, and Hal, I'd sure like to buy or trade for some that you have or want to be increased.

And Russ, I'd like to grow those new African Beans as well, and those outcrosses.

All I need are 5 or 10 seeds of each.

I'm taking the jump into big time bean collecting this year, even if it means only a few plants of each.

That means extra concern about varmints or other crop failure.
I will sort something out with you when my growing season ends, hopefully not in crop failure of course but it did happen a few years back 2ft high water washed away an acre of vegetables. I've got all but some insurance seed in the ground this year and anything I could spare went to Bluejay.
Plus I may have another group of Australian varieties turning up soon I hope.
When does your planting time start and when is your latest planting date?

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I got there before but it came up in - spanish? Thanks for the link.

Hal said:
marshallsmyth said:
lol, will someone tell this ole neanderthal the webpage?
http://isa.ciat.cgiar.org/urg/main.do?language=en

You click collections, bean collection and then you can search by descriptors and photos are included for all accessions.
I noticed if I give the direct link it some times doesn't show up in english.

Latest posts