The Pond Thread

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't want to hijack your thread Secuono, but I have a little fish story...
:hide

One of my first "real" jobs was working at Woolworths in the pet department. We had a long wall of fish tanks, and the bottom row was devoted to large tanks for fish we sold the most of. Underneath those tanks were cupboards with sliding doors for storing various equipment.
One of the big bottom tanks was devoted to feeder goldfish.

I was cleaning and organizing the cupboards one day when way in the back I found a crispy feeder fish who had apparently jumped out.
I picked him up and was shocked to see he was still alive, because his fins were so dried out they broke off. I put him in a little hospital tank by himself and waited for him to expire.

That crazy fish survived. I was amazed. His fins grew back and everywhere he had lost scales or fins they came back black.
He was really pretty. I told his story to a mom who brought her little boy in to buy him his first, very own fish, and they took him home. That made me happy that they knew his history.

Your survivor jumper reminded me of that. :)
Great story. tough little goldfish! Our jumper went un noticed until it was a gonner. :(

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a similar story of my own fish, tropical.
09 I had a male opaline gourami. He was so sweet and friendly. After a couple years, I decided to get him a female.
BIG mistake!
That demonic chick terrorized him! But that didn't start at first, so I was unaware.
I was gone all day one winter, tank was in garage. Tank was also wrapped in foamboard and had an extra heater.
I found him dry, not moving, cold on the concrete. I put him in a cup of water, because fish need a water grave. IDK, it made sense at the time...lol.
I came back 30min later and he was alive!
I put him back in the tank, female went after him and that's when I discovered why he had jumped!
I returned the female and he lived peacefully for several years.
He was so peaceful that he was safe with all sorts of fry and weak fish.
I miss him. He always touched the glass with his "feelers", pectoral fins, when I put my finger to the glass.

It's amazing the things fish can survive!

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, these two I put back into the pond to grow another year.
I'm hoping the dark one will end up looking fun when even larger and that the white n orange grows to have much better color contrast!
20190508_132901.jpg
20190508_132222.jpg

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Put up the shade.
20190508_163758.jpg

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really want to buy these....
View attachment 31520 View attachment 31521 View attachment 31522

But do I want to spend $150...
Will DH kill me over it...
Do I ~need~ them?
Ugh...

So, I waited, because every few days, they get further discounted.
I thought someone else would buy them, was kind of hoping for that.

I removed the middle fish from the lineup.

I found a coupon for 10% off, too.

The top went down to $29 & bottom to $13 and I jumped on them!

Where's my self control? No idea

Should arrive Tuesday! :celebrate

My first online fish order. I hope it goes well!

Last edited:

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll hijack too. Back in 1977, I moved to Tucson AZ for my Master's. I was so lonely in my below ground studio apt. I went to Gemco and bought a plain gold fish. His name was Biddy. He lived in a plastic tank on my plastic square coffee table and periodically would hop out of the tank onto the orange shag carpet. I found him most times but one time a friend found the orange fish on the orange carpet. Each time he would survive. Move forward to 1990 in San Jose, and by now he was in a glass tank and much larger due to the tank upgrades I would provide him. He lost his color but continued to survive. He finally passed away in 1992, just as I and my hubs and two kids were moving a mile away to a new suburb. I believe he was 89 cents. What a pet he was!

Latest posts