This is Why I Stay Out of My Woods

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay, Bay. Yours beats my rattler story hands down.

Nyboy, rattler isn't bad, but I prefer feeding it to my chickens to eating it myself. I haven't enough experience to compare different snake flavors.

animalmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Rattlesnake is tasty, but there isn't that much meat on the bones. Does make a nice pate though.

DH got bit on his ankle by a rattler, many many moons ago, and got the anti-venom. The cost was well over $1,000 per vial, and he had many vials. He was in the hospital for three days. A few years later one of the dogs got bit. The anti-venom was less than $100/vial. The kicker... same anti-venom, same amount per vial, by the same manufacturer. The difference in price was due to it being shipped to a vet instead of a hospital. Lesson 1, get it from the vet. Lesson 2, don't walk around in the dark without a light (but if you have a light then it isn't dark).

All the dogs now get their rattlesnake shots in the spring. Money well spent in my delightful humble opinion.

On the other hand I'm not too fond of any snake. We have non-poisonous snakes around the compound, and they understand that as long as they do not startle me that they are fine to hunt for all the rodents they can eat. Startle me and that attracts the man with the shotgun.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@so lucky, I was a young twenty something. Sorry, no pictures. But it is absolutely true. Thanks for the vote of confidence @Ridgerunner!

I might have been just a little over the top nuts when I was younger. Just a little ..... and then there's the alligator catching story.....

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOL LOL Red! OK here goes with the alligator story.

On a camping trip on Lake Livingston, we took the boat out at night. The guys were looking for something to shoot, spotlight, then aim between the two glowing eyes. Yeah, illegal ..... annyhoo, as we cruised up a creek, we picked up tiny glowing eyes with the spotlight. Baby alligators! Lots of them! Also some snakes in the mix of floating driftwood. And what did I want to do? Catch baby alligators of course! Somebody mentioned Momma Alligator might be around and it might not be a good idea. Always a Debbie Downer in every bunch.

Several of us bailed out of the boat, treading water, parting the driftwood, and snatching baby alligators. Holding our prizes aloft, we swam back to the boat, tossing them in the bottom of the boat. Baby alligators make the cutest squeaky sounds. Debbie Downer said probably calling Momma Alligator for help. Debbie Downer further tried to spoil the fun by worrying that spotlighting would bring the game warden down on us and having a boatload of baby alligators would send us all to jail.

Swimming in dark murky water, at night, dodging snakes, to snatch baby alligators ....... not one of my brightest moments. But it sure was fun.

When we caught all the baby alligators we could, we clambered back on the boat to play with them. Ummm.... them lil' suckers hatch out with sharp teeth ready to go. They BITE. They also are surprisingly soft on their bellies. Even a boat load of furiously squeaking baby alligators, spotlight and swear words when fingers got chomped summoned neither the game warden or Momma Alligator. We dropped the babies back in the lake. Debbie Downer said he'd never go anywhere with us bunch of lunatics again.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOL LOL Red! OK here goes with the alligator story.

On a camping trip on Lake Livingston, we took the boat out at night. The guys were looking for something to shoot, spotlight, then aim between the two glowing eyes. Yeah, illegal ..... annyhoo, as we cruised up a creek, we picked up tiny glowing eyes with the spotlight. Baby alligators! Lots of them! Also some snakes in the mix of floating driftwood. And what did I want to do? Catch baby alligators of course! Somebody mentioned Momma Alligator might be around and it might not be a good idea. Always a Debbie Downer in every bunch.

Several of us bailed out of the boat, treading water, parting the driftwood, and snatching baby alligators. Holding our prizes aloft, we swam back to the boat, tossing them in the bottom of the boat. Baby alligators make the cutest squeaky sounds. Debbie Downer said probably calling Momma Alligator for help. Debbie Downer further tried to spoil the fun by worrying that spotlighting would bring the game warden down on us and having a boatload of baby alligators would send us all to jail.

Swimming in dark murky water, at night, dodging snakes, to snatch baby alligators ....... not one of my brightest moments. But it sure was fun.

When we caught all the baby alligators we could, we clambered back on the boat to play with them. Ummm.... them lil' suckers hatch out with sharp teeth ready to go. They BITE. They also are surprisingly soft on their bellies. Even a boat load of furiously squeaking baby alligators, spotlight and swear words when fingers got chomped summoned neither the game warden or Momma Alligator. We dropped the babies back in the lake. Debbie Downer said he'd never go anywhere with us bunch of lunatics again.

Latest posts