Ticks Are Out Of Control

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't let the chickens run loose, the dogs think they are really fast squeaky toys. I also have a fox den just behind the pasture.

LOL... the oil IS bottled (but I mix it myself).. and it costs me a small fortune.
I'm tellin' ya - check into Young Living brand, it's good stuff.
(I'll be happy to sign you up.. ;))

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have never seen a spring like this one for ticks. We had a very mild winter, causing a explosion of ticks. Past 3 days I have found one walking across my desk. I am ready to use frontline on myself. Have you noticed more ticks then usual this spring ?
Expert have predicted big year for ticks. New studies show it only takes 15 minutes to be infected after a bite. The are finding new tick diseases every year. I have had lyme disease a few times and it is horrible.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is treated with antibiotics for 4 weeks. Once you have it you will always test positive even if you don't have it at the time. The dangerous thing with it is when it goes untreated, many people dont know they have it. False negtive in test is also common. They have a vaccine for dogs, but none for people yet

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I HATE TICKS.....:somad I am real good about staying out of tick prone areas (also usually full of poison ivy!) but DH and HIS dog spend time there and bring them home. I find them in the wash basket, on the table and ME! (of course the dog has a few almost every time they get home and check.) I have been woken up by the sensation of something crawling on me to turn on the lights and see it is a TICK > :thI HATE TICKS.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is treated with antibiotics for 4 weeks. Once you have it you will always test positive even if you don't have it at the time. The dangerous thing with it is when it goes untreated, many people dont know they have it. False negtive in test is also common. They have a vaccine for dogs, but none for people yet
The updated info is a bit different.. After a couple years the antibodies do go away and you can test negative. There was a human vaccine but it was taken off the market. I was very ill with it and my test cam back negative except a trace of one of the many types that they carry. My doctor treated me saying "How can you have just a little bit of Lyme?" That God a doctor who can think for himself.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I treated my clothes with Sawyer permethrin spray before going into the woods. The second time out, one still somehow got me, bit me near my belly button of all places, but at least I could see it to remove it. It was a lone star tick and they are not supposed to carry Lyme, but they do potentially carry another scary one...starts with an E...I forget the name. I had an itchy, red bump there for over a week. Never ran any other fever, so I didn't go to the doc. But had I not treated my clothes and the kids', we all would have had over a dozen of the creepy things on us each. The kids had none at least.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I read something that made a lot of sense. if you come down with a terrible sickness, the doctors run all sorts of tests, take weeks to come up with a diagnosis. The advice was; pull the tick off, drop in a freezer bag, date it and put it in the freezer. If you come down with an illness, take the tick to the hospital with you. They can test the tick to see what you have, saves a lot of testing and time. Then the doctors can treat you.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I read something that made a lot of sense. if you come down with a terrible sickness, the doctors run all sorts of tests, take weeks to come up with a diagnosis. The advice was; pull the tick off, drop in a freezer bag, date it and put it in the freezer. If you come down with an illness, take the tick to the hospital with you. They can test the tick to see what you have, saves a lot of testing and time. Then the doctors can treat you.

good idea

Latest posts