Ticks Are Out Of Control

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ah darn have not seen any here but are also no mosquito's right now?
we did have a good two weeks hard freeze finally maybe no fleas so either :celebrate

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You SHOULD get some chickens. A LOT of people own them bc it's PC and then they get attached, BUT, chickens are cheap, and you could let them free range and replace those that get eaten. They are wonderful at eating ticks and other bugs. At the end of the season put a "FREE CHICKENS" home made printed ad (with photos) up at the grocery store/hardware store and you'll get immediate calls to take them. (PM me if you need ideas for housing bc you will want to keep your chicken $investment low.)
ALSO, keep ALL vegetation except your vegetables MOWED DOWN. Insects love tall grass. Good luck with all that. Btw, Seresto collars really work. My dog still wears last year's (that will be remedied this weekend) and DD's cat wears one.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I read something that made a lot of sense. if you come down with a terrible sickness, the doctors run all sorts of tests, take weeks to come up with a diagnosis. The advice was; pull the tick off, drop in a freezer bag, date it and put it in the freezer. If you come down with an illness, take the tick to the hospital with you. They can test the tick to see what you have, saves a lot of testing and time. Then the doctors can treat you.
Around here if you go to the er or a walk in clinic with a bite-they will just treat you. When my son around 12 the treatment was very different . He kept getting the flu, getting better and then getting sick again. It went on for close to 2 months. Our dr suspected lyme but was waiting for the test to come back-took a long time back then. He was so sick. The test was positive but they wasted weeks before treating him. They would not do that today.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
After a couple of weeks of rain and drizzle, we are seeing the first of our mosquitoes. Tics have been bitting for about a month. I removed one small one from both son and myself so far. Thanks for the reminder. Dog needs another round of protection.

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Living on a dime Tawra has a son who has been sick for sometime. They think it might be Lyme. They are taking him to Mayo clinic because he is not getting better. He started a Lyme treatment a while back but I don't think it has helped.