Tomato 2022

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am writing my list of seeds to buy for 2023. I looking for some tasty cherry/grape heirlooms, bc I will want to save their seeds.
Any suggestions? Thx!!
I'll try to keep it short ducks! I love me some heirloom cherry tomatoes!!

Gardener's Sweetheart - texture is divine, firm not squirty
Amethyst Cream - sweet, sweet, sweet
Spoon - zippy & makes gallons
Reisenstraube - serious and classic
Napa Chardonnay - delicious
Gold Rush Currant - zillions, and SO good

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mistake this year:

Since I didn't have a label for each tomato plant going into the big veggie garden, I made a map. I know that mapping has occurred to me before, this might have been a first time.

The plants were left to their usual sprawl and have grown well (despite being late for production). The wind during the recent hailstorm created some havoc. As usual, I can't see what labels went in beside some plants and now, recognizing one plant from another is very difficult! I'll need to take the map and write foliage characteristics, etc. A Mess ... although the windward side is quite accessible 🙄 .

Steve
who needs to use wooden stakes about 2' tall to label tomatoes! either that or 6' tall and tie them all up!

Here's a Yellow Jellybean potted in the backyard, right now:
734CAE31-7A76-4A4D-8954-500EC9E0FE40.jpeg
One of my favorites if not the favorite cherry. I’m a little embarrassed to admit that I figured out a year or so ago that the reason I like it so well is that it tastes like a very good red tomato :D.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I see tha it's a hybrid, and that's OK for me to by one packet for next year.
I was Hoping that somebody here could point me to an heirloom cherry that tastes really good.
I only have 2 volunteer cherries this year. They are growing RIGHT NEXT TO the north side of the garage and the little green tomatoes are now where Near ready to ripen.
So, Probably, no cherry volunteers for me next year. :hit
I still say that every Cherokee Purple seed that i saved from 2021 sprouted for me, so I think I can save seeds.
Does your Jellybean grape tomato ressed same every year?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I see tha it's a hybrid, and that's OK for me to by one packet for next year.
I was Hoping that somebody here could point me to an heirloom cherry that tastes really good.
I only have 2 volunteer cherries this year. They are growing RIGHT NEXT TO the north side of the garage and the little green tomatoes are now where Near ready to ripen.
So, Probably, no cherry volunteers for me next year. :hit
I still say that every Cherokee Purple seed that i saved from 2021 sprouted for me, so I think I can save seeds.
Does your Jellybean grape tomato ressed same every year?
I made a little list for you above ⬆️

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found they lacked flavor as do most paste tomatoes. IMO

we've only grown Romas and yep, i didn't much like them either. without the snot/juice you don't get as much umami. perhaps there are some varieties which are better? i don't know, i'm not a tomato expert.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of my favorites if not the favorite cherry. I’m a little embarrassed to admit that I figured out a year or so ago that the reason I like it so well is that it tastes like a very good red tomato :D.

is it tart enough to be used for juice/chunks and canned? the sweet 100s were really bland when i canned them plain straight crop. very sweet yes, but really blah... we took to putting them in with the other tomatoes as we canned so that we'd not think we were drinking sweet funny colored water.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Snacking Fresh, @flowerbug .

@ducks4you , I used to think that a cherry tomato was a cherry tomato and grew Large Red Cherry. I was so pleased when Sungold & Supersweet 100 became available and I tried them :). Sunsugar was soon added to the lineup and finally replaced Sungold after about 20 years head-to-head because it seldom splits (and DW likes them better ;)). All hybrids.

About 2 volunteer tomatoes would be saved each year but I gave up on that - with one exception. They seemed to be Sweet 100 volunteers consistently. The reason I gave up was how late the fruit of the volunteers ripened, if they did.

The exception was Coyote. Coyote was very good at volunteering. In fact, it was their preferred method. How did I know that? It seemed that every time I started them in the greenhouse the seedlings would take forever to emerge! It didn't seem to matter in the least that the seed was new. Other varieties would bounce up and out-compete the Coyote for root space and sunlight.

I figured that I could try direct-seeding them. New seed - nothing came up! They were determined to volunteer on their own.

So early maturing, Coyote volunteers could ripen a crop with no trouble :). I finally gave up on them. The reason: their flavor was truly unique and after about 5 years, I decided that it was not to my preference.

Wild things, they may make other hearts sing. Make everything groovy. Make others love them 🎶🎶 Ah-oooh

Steve

Latest posts