Tomatoes Tomatoes, how many colors?

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So Folks,

I hope all is going well with your gardens, families and life in general.

I've been shopping around for tomatoes these past few weeks and I now have 9, I think. :lol:

How many colors do these things come in?!

So far I have purple, orange, yellow, white, green and pink. I have a Brandywine that wasnt labeled with a color, and then another variety called Conestopa. I've never heard of it, so I grabbed it. Anyone know what it is? Or did someone totally spell the name wrong? Because it was hand written, lol.

So, I've got:
Brandywine
Pineapple
Evergreen
Great White
Caspian Pink
Cherokee Purple
Pruden's Purple
Kellog's Breakfast
Conestopa

I guess that is it, for now anyways! :D

Has anyone tried any of these? How do they taste? I hate tomatoes so I could care less, but I love growing different varieties.

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
You've got most of the colors I think. The brandywine will be a good red slicing tomatoe. I noticed you don't have any striped tomatoes. Mr. Stripey is a pretty common one that is yellow with red stripes. I have a variety that's been in the family for years that is yellow with a very pink center. I have seen a "black" tomatoe variety offered for sale , but I figured it's probably like a purple. I guess your next move should be tomatoe shapes. I love the heart shaped tomatoes and pear tomatoes. If you ever run across pepper or stuffing tomatoes they are good too and they have a hollow center. Good luck! Let us know how your colored tomatoes do , because I haven't tried the purple white or green ones.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Don't forget black and brown! Plus green-and-yellow stripes, orange flesh with purple smudges, etc. It's amazing how many varieties fruits and veggies come in when you consider the 1 or 2 varieties we get from the store.

The Cherokee purple and Brandywine are great. Haven't tried the others.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks folks! I saw a Black Zebra at the nursery but forgot to grab one! I figured that would get black and striped out of the way, although it looks pretty red. I know my grandma said the brandywines were delicious, I just wanna know what color it will be, lol. Shapes are a great idea too! I didnt grab a cherry tomato and I would really like to. As for pear shaped, we tried yellow pear once and everyone hated them! Im definitely not doing that again! Thank you all for the ideas, they're great! I'll definitely keep you all updated on how they do.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have yellows, oranges, browns and I have a Pink Brandywine.

I can't wait to see all the colors in harmony out in the garden!!!

(Go back and get the Zebra!!!!!)

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I did not see any browns, but now I want one! :lol:

That is exactly why I do it, vfem. I love bringing in a bowl of all different colors. Its amazing to see the different shapes, colors and hear how they taste. I dont eat them, but I sure love growing tasty ones!

Dont worry, I'm already planning a trip back there! :lol:

I want a Sun Gold too, oh no! :tools

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Last year, when I had my huge tub full of all those colored tomatoes, it was truly a work of art!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You don't eat them!?!?! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!

Most of my tomatoes are cherry. I like snacking on them, making salads... I'm going to do some in fresh salsas and such. (As soon as I get that food processor I won... its ON!!!!)

I was lucky enough to trade with someone here (I think it was Heidi? I know we traded for something, but its been months.) and they sent me "brown berry cherry tomato" It tooks like the chocolate cherry tomato they have out. Its actually on the brown side and not purple. They look candyish.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
theOEGBman said:
Thanks folks! I saw a Black Zebra at the nursery but forgot to grab one! I figured that would get black and striped out of the way, although it looks pretty red. I know my grandma said the brandywines were delicious, I just wanna know what color it will be, lol. Shapes are a great idea too! I didnt grab a cherry tomato and I would really like to. As for pear shaped, we tried yellow pear once and everyone hated them! Im definitely not doing that again! Thank you all for the ideas, they're great! I'll definitely keep you all updated on how they do.
Brandywines can be pink, red and I beleive they are also available in a brown or "black" too.
The pink is my favorite!

Latest posts