Unscheduled flight

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is an unscheduled flight of stairs to be precise. Last Thursday 2/18 I walked outside at 5:30 am to go to work hit an icy spot on the deck steps and had a nasty wreck down to the bottom. Now I’m laid up with a broken ankle, fractured fibula just below the knee, and surprising how many breaks you can have in a pinky finger. After meeting with the surgeon We have decided to let it startto heal On its own and maybe the surgery on the fibula will not be necessary. If you have been here awhile you know I have busted myself up a few times in the last few years. I need to start being a little more careful when I am moving around outside in cold weather. I already have some garden projects getting started in the shop so they are going to be slowed down a little by this unfortunate event, hopefully not to much though. Here is a pic from 2 days before the flight of the dodo bird
9E8E0447-E751-4172-907B-12FE2E108D5F.jpeg

I was down along the creek cleaning up and burning storm debris and a couple fallen trees. The first thing I made was this break area with the log bench.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, Be a Careful Collector!

My back steps are a continuing concern. They are out from under the deck roof, about 36'' high and 5 steps. I have rails on both sides but they can be covered with snow and ice, also.

A couple of years ago, I slipped off the bottom step, continued to slide on the concrete landing and sat down - fortunately having gone far enough it wasn't a bottom on the bottom step!

Collector, I have to think about every step that I take. That is what a damaged sciatica nerve can require of a person. If I can do it, you can too - just for your own safety .🚑. Now, heal up good and fast.

Steve

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' I need to start moving around more carefully for sure, I cannot keep having these events every year or so. This is the second time this season I have lost it in that same spot. The first time my feet went straight out and I landed on my back on the steps breaking one of the 2x6” steps with my back. That was around x-mas time, and my back had just healed up a week or so earlier. The problem is there is an old ornamental pine tree about 2’ off the deck that is half dead and has needed cut down for a couple years now. I haven’t done it because there is a very slim chance that it could go down the wrong way and hit the house or tear up the deck. It shades those steps and landing at the top so there is ice there every morning even if I de-ice it the evening before. I need to just cut it down and be done with it already, before I break my dang neck.

@Artichoke Lover thank you for the prayers for healing. It is amazing how quick you can go from standing at the top of the steps to laying at the bottom. I really need to start proceeding with more caution or I’m afraid I will keep having these issues.

@majorcatfish ,I am happy to see you are putting your year or so of health problems in the rearveiw, and planning your garden. I do not feel unstable on my feet , the problem is I am more unstable than I feel lol. PS I found the highlander seeds at an Etsy store called Texas Seed Supply. They have a pretty good inventory of tomato and pepper seeds. I have not received the seed order yet but I figure with the massive problems happening in Texas right now things may be moving slow.

Latest posts