Urine as a liquid fertilizer....

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Almost identical to the last two growing seasons....wet and cold, now slowly warming but still cool at night. Same soils, same weather.....and both of these pairs of plants had been dog mauled and I didn't think they would survive. They have looked like they were going to die for two months now.

Added pee. Waited a few weeks. Noticed deep green where previously had been yellow, brown, shriveled. One rhubarb did not get the urine and has remained small, stunted, scabby looking.

I now have some very tall, very green and lush chives and rhubarb.....except for the rhubarb 2 ft. down the row that didn't receive the side dressing application.

I think I will continue to experiment in this way....... :D

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I read that human waste contains harmful bacteria to plants and composting micro-organizms. And...I don't think its right to store your own urine - ever. :sick

CARS

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Chicken_Boy said:
I read that human waste contains harmful bacteria to plants and composting micro-organizms. And...I don't think its right to store your own urine - ever. :sick
Wouldn't that depend on what the intake is :rolleyes:

I received a tour of a large city waste treatment facility last spring. Guess what they do with the solids..... apply it to farm fields! The treated "water" goes back into the rivers to soak back into the aquifers so that the water may be pumped back into our homes.

Lil Chickie Mama

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Waste as in solids is nasty full of bacteria, that's why the few people who are SUPER eco-conscious have composting toilets that incinerate the solid waste to kill nasties. Urine is sterile though (still be careful with meds and if you have diseases though). I love this thread, I have been giggling like crazy! I loved the song by the way!!!! As for the people asking about urine being a deterrent to predators, it works for us with my chickens. We haven't seen a single baddie yet and I keep asking hubbs to go "mark" around the coop. I can't wait to see his face when I ask him to pee into my garden sprayer (not for pesticides) so I can spray everything. I love you guys!! LOL!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
The section of corn treated with urine is almost 2 ft. taller than the section not treated and it is a deep green color compared to the light color of the untreated portion. Both beds of corn were planted in the same manner, using the same seed, with a goodly portion of aged manure hilled into all the rows.

The rhubarb treated is twice the size of the one that was not treated....ditto on the chives. All four plants are side by side and planted in the same soil and have had the same application of aged manure in the early spring. The only difference being full strength urine applications.

The corn is taller than me~5'4"~ and hasn't started to tassle yet , which is unusual compared to all the other corn in my area. The treated corn also has thicker stalks than the untreated. I'll try to get a pic and post the results as they stand right now.

I read that human waste contains harmful bacteria to plants and composting micro-organizms. And...I don't think its right to store your own urine - ever.
But, of course, animal waste is sterile and safe...... :rolleyes:

Whatever the beliefs about storing one's own urine~and I didn't know that was really a belief or something that could be right or wrong :rolleyes: ~ it has paid off in spades and I will be doing this in the future.

<singing> If lovin' storin' my pee is wrong, I don't want to be right....... :tools

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Nah, nothing wrong with urine as a fertilizer, you just have to dilute it properly as Beekissed says, or put it on the compost pile.

Plants use ammonia just *fine* -- why do you think ammonium sulfate or ammonium nitrate are such ubiquitous (manmade) crop fertilizers? :p You just can't dump too much of it on a plant at once, same as anything else including water.

So, pee on the compost pile or weeds (easiest if you are male); if you want to put it directly on the garden, pee into a bucket of water and put *that* on :p

Pat
Im beatin' a path out back, right now. Compost pile here I come!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just caught this post dont know where I have been to have missed it before...

I have two female dogs who pee on my lawn which gets killed but when new growth comes back it is greener than the surrounding grass....

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
None of my animals kill the grass with their urine....even the milk cow! Still get the same results, though.....deep, lush green growth everywhere they do their golden showers! Wish I could catch one of hers....that would really go far! :p

Latest posts