Use Ginger and/or Turmeric? Grow it?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I didn't get much from mine. :( Maybe I didn't keep it evenly watered or maybe I should have kept it potted up longer (only got 6 months of growing time in.) It was looking pretty shabby by this point, so I decided against bringing the whole pot in. I'll keep the largest tubers to plant next year and use up the tiny ones since they probably won't keep well.

There was also this plant among the tubers @hoodat sent me at first. What is it? Ginger maybe? It smells nice, but I can't quite place it.
20161104_220642.jpg

I think I will repot this one and bring it in since it's pretty small .

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We keep ginger right near the cutting board in a basket with the garlic.

Neither go in every time with the ingredients for a stir-fry but often enough :).

These new roots seem so tender I've got them in the fridge. Oddly, the old root doesn't look like it has deteriorated any, despite having "budded out" into a plant.

One doesn't need to eat the slices of ginger to enjoy their flavor in stir-fry or a bowl of noodles. Maybe, I'll try the old root first to find out if it's any good ...

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have sinus headaches

The ginger tea I've had has absolutely taken my breath away ..! That wasn't quite the remedy I was looking for. However, I'm up to putting a slice of fresh ginger in my mouth and holding it there.

A second slice can be rubbed across the brow. Oh, blessed relief ... if I do this while waiting for the Tylenol to kick in, I'm comfortable and can then go about my business.

Steve :)
who may smell like a ginger snap, at times

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I didn't get much from mine. :( Maybe I didn't keep it evenly watered or maybe I should have kept it potted up longer (only got 6 months of growing time in.) It was looking pretty shabby by this point, so I decided against bringing the whole pot in. I'll keep the largest tubers to plant next year and use up the tiny ones since they probably won't keep well.

There was also this plant among the tubers @hoodat sent me at first. What is it? Ginger maybe? It smells nice, but I can't quite place it.
View attachment 17070
I think I will repot this one and bring it in since it's pretty small .
They take forever for their first sprout.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have sinus headaches

The ginger tea I've had has absolutely taken my breath away ..! That wasn't quite the remedy I was looking for. However, I'm up to putting a slice of fresh ginger in my mouth and holding it there.

A second slice can be rubbed across the brow. Oh, blessed relief ... if I do this while waiting for the Tylenol to kick in, I'm comfortable and can then go about my business.

Steve :)
who may smell like a ginger snap, at times

Does it not burn? It seems like it would. My sister puts a dab of peppermint essential oil on her forehead when she has a headache and says that really helps. I rarely get headaches, so I've not tried it myself.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I suppose so, @journey11 .

A "counter irritant," as is menthol and such.

There is that freshness, you spoke of. Of course, I am reminded of food, in my dazed state - ginger bread and the Chinese restaurants of my childhood :).

Steve

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
1greenhouse1.jpg

So I am very confused..NO ONE noticed this plant sitting on my greenhouse bench, in my previous picture. Looks like your ginger @journey11 . This is Cardamom. I have been waiting for it to bloom. I have had it for years and years thinking I may have to let it get pot bound to get it to bloom, in my neck of the woods. Never looked it up until now because all your ginger plants really looks like my Cardamom. Well, turns out, it is all in the ginger family and you don't use part of the bloom or seed pod from a flower. Also in that family is Galangal and Tumeric. You use the root. This pot is packed solidly. Today I am going to do a little digging. I have learned I have been growing one of the most expensive spices on earth for over 30 years and never knew it. I will find Galangal and start a pot of that also.

I love to cook with cardamom but I always bought it in a jar. LOL

My favorite thing to do is tear off a piece of Cardamom leaf and walk around the greenhouse crinkling it. Smells heavenly...

I became very enlightened this morning. Thank you.

BARB in Pa.

Latest posts