Water Restrictions

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
the only things that gets watered around here are the gardens and the pool. i get happy when it gets hot and dry around here ,it's means i only have to mow every other week or longer..except the septic field thats a guaranteed weekly mow, prettiest green you have ever scene during a heat wave.
now if our property was flat and smooth as a golf course maybe then i could see watering around the house, but it's not the grass and weeds can fend for themselves.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have never had to water the lawn here, it rains so much. I get plantain and clover in the bare spots the chickens have worn down. Clover feeds my bees and plantain is good to put on it when I get stung by bees, so it all works out. :p

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
We don't even water the garden. Once you start that, you pretty much have to continue and we have a well, so when the garden is dry we sure don't want to use up our well water, as we depend on the rains for our water too. It's a great well but who wants to find out just HOW good in the middle of a dry period?

We would never dream of watering the yard...that's the stuff we work all season to cut down, we sure don't care what color it may be just as long as we don't have to use time, wear on equipment and money for gas to keep it short.

There's a wonderful freedom involved with living out in the boonies.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
In the summer in this part of the country there is no such thing as watering with rainfall. You couldn't grow a garden or any other kind of plant if you had to depend on water from the sky. The good thing about that is that only the toughest weeds survive in the unwatered areas.

I do water my lawn. I like the clean, green coolness of it. I don't bag the clippings, they get mulched back in. And it's probably 50% "other" than grass. Clover, dandelions, hawkweed, yarrow... and I don't know what else. But it's all green and cut to the same height it's a fine enough lawn for me.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had to tend a garden in Dad's backyard with water restrictions during one of my last years there. In his location, only morning outdoor irrigation was allowed. With all of about 2,000 square feet of garden, I would arrive before 5am and finish a little after noon, twice a week. I just didn't have the water pressure to get through it any faster!

That water restriction was a result of the community's overuse of water resources, in violation of state law. Local officials were so development happy that they issued too many permits to the "developers." Essentially, it was a penalty that the residents had to bear for the errors of the representatives they elected. New agreements had to be forged on aquifer use and, it seemed that "growth" was just as rampant within a year or two.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do water my lawn. I like the clean, green coolness of it.

My backyard gets lots of traffic - mostly me, pounding away on it with my #13's :rolleyes:. Keeping the house clean is important to me. And, there is all that carpeting to keep the #13's warm through the winter. I don't much like walking on concrete and don't like the yard beaten down to dust and mud.

Here is a list of weeds in a lawn I was recently reading about: "The backyard is mostly weeds (violets, clover, chickweed, dandelion, etc) and a little bit of bermuda ... Alabama/TN border."

I was surprised that they are 4 of the most common weeds in my lawn ! Wouldn't I have been justified in thinking that there is a difference in geography? Yes but, these weeds, like those in my garden, follow us across the continent! (I found a jimson weed in the big veggie garden again this spring :(.)

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
lucky me a couple years ago i found a couple streets over during a yard sale one of those 55 gallon blue plastic containers, got it for $5. i haven't had to use the water it was collecting the past couple years & it is still full. but some cities have put out notice that there will be some rationing going into effect till there is more rain. i want to get more of those barrels if i could find them cheap. i did see someone a couple weeks ago had some for $10 each but i think those got bought up quickly. :(