Water Restrictions

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i added plants but they haven't filled in yet. so far it has only been in for a couple weeks so i haven't noticed much evaporation. we are finally getting rain today through tomorrow. i'm hoping this is enough of a drench that it will help the ground.

i'll see about getting some pics but it isn't fully done. i need to put the boards around the edge for the seats. i made a raised pond since the ground is tough to get further down than about 2', lots of big stones hiding in the yard made it difficult.

i'm thinking of making an arbor over it for some annual vines to grow up. most of the sun i've noticed is from 9am to about 3pm, so that is about enough sun to keep the plants happy. the fish have submerged plants they can take shelter from the sun. when the lilies get established they will also give some shade to the fish.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Chickie'sMomaInNH , have you given any thought to using some of those 600 gallons for irrigation?

It would probably depend on the water quality replacing it, what your koi would think of this ...

Back when I had an aquarium, it seems like we were advised that something like 50+% could be removed during a cleaning. I know from having goldfish that their environment needs cleaning more often than lots of others. That much water might make a real contribution to your yard and garden.

Steve

Last edited:

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have thought of it. that's why i placed it on the edge of my garden. figured when we have predicted rain i would back flush some out so the rain could replace it naturally. the past couple days i have been taking some of the water for my chickens & watering down some of the plants around the pond too. weather forecasters said we were going to get rain a few days ago but they have been wrong up till today. seems i only took the level down an inch or two by doing that this week.

city water i have had issues with since they put so many chemicals in it. used it to fill the pond but gave it a week before adding the fish & had to add chemicals just to offset the chlorine & other stuff. i buy bottled springwater at the store for the fishtanks so i don't have any issues with fish getting sick. when i do a change out of some tank water i use it on my plants. i do the same with the water i've used to clean out the filters. i've recycled the empty gallon jugs in winter time & pour the waste water into them for later use on plants & seedlings.