Water Restrictions

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
On 1/3rd of the days in June, there was "officially" some measurable rain even if it was only a trace. Total for month: .51". The only rainfall that amounted to something, came just before the near freezing temperatures in the middle of the month. That was 1/4". So, the other 1/4" was spread between 9 days!

July has just begun but on average, we can expect .46" of rain for the month. Rainstorms? These weather "events" are nearly insignificant.

We have some large lakes and a locally important aquifer holding winter snowmelt. For my location, less than 20" of precipitation will fall through the year. Less than 10% of that will come as Summer sprinkles, showers, downpours, cloudbursts, gutterwashes ... I think I could have stopped at "sprinkles." ;)

Oh, if you are curious about "weeds" in a Concrete Jungle, especially one in northeastern United States, check out this guy. He has a new book and interesting ideas on the common "weed landscape" throughout a region, across the continent and internationally. Weeds, they are our companions. We really shouldn't ignore them.

http://www.spontaneousurbanplants.org/about/

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
in my travels yesterday i had to go down Rt 108 & when i was at a light that had a concrete median i noticed a grate. growing between that grate & the concrete was a 4' tall 'weed'. it made me think how hard that particular weed is for me to pull it when they grow between my cement 'porch' & the driveway. these weeds love the dry areas & the only way i found works best to get them to release their grip is to saturate the ground around them to loosen them. well, this year the weed whacker is going to take them out & they will just have to waste their energy trying to regrow.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We are in a very small town here in Washington back in the early 40's they instituted
a new water system convincing everyone to abandon their wells to hook up to this "safer"
water supply our water bill is horrible more than electricity.. we just purchased a
water pump the old systern is under a gazebo in the front yard a quasi wood table
covers it, my better half is going to look behind the original foundation under the house
we were told many places here had above ground pumps they would place under the house for
winter protection.. otherwise watering my garden and chickens will put us in the poor house.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Around these parts, if you live in town and hooked up to the city water, they will not allow you to use your old wells or cisterns so some people sneak and do it for gardens and lawns and such.

Given a choice, if I had a great well, I'd not hook up to public utilities even if they were offering free water...that stuff is nasty. When I lived in town I transported gallon jugs of water home each week from my parent's well out in the country for drinking and cooking. That town water grew red algae in all basins :sick...and we were charged $65 a mo. base rate, before any usage.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
City house city water, country house well. While well doesn't come with a water bill it is not free. I have spent over $3,000 putting in a water cleaning system. Before when straight from well water smelled of rotten eggs. No one would shower in it never mind drink.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sulfur water! Supposed to be really good for you.... :gig Yes, wells are not always free water but the initial costs are usually less than the ongoing robbery from public systems that adds up over the years and the quality of water is much more superior.

Here we have excellent water and the initial costs of drilling the well(24 yrs ago) and the ongoing maintenance of pump and system is definitely much, much cheaper than paying for city water.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary if you don't get a lot of rain, your city water must be expensive .
To be honest, I don't really know. My husband pays all the bills. But we try our best to converse water. We take 5 min. showers and I reuse all water used to boil things. Even water left in a glass is not thrown away but used on plants instead. We have only a very tiny lawn in front that is not very green but is kept nice and trimmed. One of my pet peeves is peoples knee high weeds. Drought means you don't water your lawn. It does not mean you don't have to mow your weeds!

Mary

Latest posts