We Got A New Horse!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay you know they can fly
Robert said he put the horse in his back yard to graze and the guinea ran up and down the fence, frantic because he couldn't get to his friend. If I ride him home, the guinea would have to follow down the road and we don't think it would do that. The guinea was "lost" when it showed up and we don't want him to lose his friend.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not sure about dumb but they are crazy wild. If he was raised alone or with chickens, he might not know he can fly.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
He flies up in a pine tree to roost at night. That part about not being very smart.....poor bird just weirds out if the horse is on the other side of the fence. LOL

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I think you mean "flighty." I don't believe that chickens or other domestic fowl are really that dumb. Consider their very short lifetimes and what knowledge they demonstrate after a few months?
Still, it can be a problem for those who do not cage. I don't do free range bc:
1) too many nighttime predators, including owls, one of which fell through the chicken wire roof into a previous enclosure and I found 2 hens dead
2) they would learn quickly to flutter up to my barn's loft at night and crap all over my horse's hay and straw!!!!
3) they would be up in the loft, thinking that they are safe and either one of my cats or a curious raccoon would have a meal
@ninnymary has the best setup for free range, which is a backyard with a fence!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think you mean "flighty." I don't believe that chickens or other domestic fowl are really that dumb. Consider their very short lifetimes and what knowledge they demonstrate after a few months?
Still, it can be a problem for those who do not cage. I don't do free range bc:
1) too many nighttime predators, including owls, one of which fell through the chicken wire roof into a previous enclosure and I found 2 hens dead
2) they would learn quickly to flutter up to my barn's loft at night and crap all over my horse's hay and straw!!!!
3) they would be up in the loft, thinking that they are safe and either one of my cats or a curious raccoon would have a meal
@ninnymary has the best setup for free range, which is a backyard with a fence!
Even with a fenced yard, I watch them like a hawk. I use my broom to coral them if I have to. I'm always afraid they will jump onto something and then fly over the fence. So far, I'm surprised they destroy my garden very little. Most of the time they are walking around and pecking at blossoms or leaves that have fallen to the ground. They have stayed away from my veggie beds but I still don't trust them.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I rode him home Sunday. We took the long way, about 5 miles. He was much more alert, startled a few times, but did not spook. He is slick, shiny, and has gained weight. He still has a little to go before he's completely filled out, but he is looking so pretty. Here's pictures, can't see the shine, because he's in the shade. Joe is standing next to him, there is a foot of difference in their height.
IMG_1672.JPG

IMG_1673.JPG

Latest posts