Weather Where You Are

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
time to prepare , as in move away and put things on ice in the event of a power outage
That sounds like my experience with an ice storm.

Hurricane or tornado? About the only thing that might come close is a volcanic eruption. I was entirely too complacent. Still, I wasn't like those idiots who treated the eruption of Mount St Helens as a sightseeing event and were never heard from again. Or, that old coot Truman who wouldn't believe the geologists and stayed until it amounted to nothing more than suicide.

We prayed for rain. And, it came! Every few days that summer there was a shower. Just about. Thankfully, it wasn't like one of these recent, dry and windy summers. Still, every dry, windy summer day for about 3 years, the ash would be picked up and blow.

Unless your home was downhill from that mountain, I doubt if it was nearly as bad as a hurricane or being in a tornado's path. Perpared? The feds seem to have backed off on Covid-19. (600+ new cases at the University of Alabama, alone)

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our long dry streak broke today. A "rain train" started just West of us at 0-dark-thirty, with storm after storm following the same path. Really odd how one stationary "hot spot" can keep generating one storm after another, for hours on end. We've had almost 11 hours of intermittent thunder, but the storm track seems to finally be drifting South. We really needed the rain, the ground was developing deep cracks everywhere, and the local corn fields were beginning to wither. The pail that I leave out as a makeshift rain gauge says we got about 1.5" of rain... but the earth was so dry we'll probably be able to work in the garden tomorrow.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hurricane Ike landed a massive oak on our house and tore it up. @Carol Dee you remember that? I HATE INSURANCE COMPANIES!! :lol: We were without power for over 3 weeks. Eh. It goes with the territory. Hurricane Laura is reaching up here Thursday before veering off to the east. We are expected to get 3-5" of rain and winds of 75 MPH, so not too bad.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
we finally picked up some rain here too @Zeedman, looks like the same band of storms has shifted over and down to us. we sure needed it and some more perhaps this morning. good thing i watered the day before. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Laura is going to hit land as a Cat 4. Highways are clogged with people fleeing the hurricane and hotels are full. Only ONE town has offered shelter to people, because of Covid. We have to go into town today, news has shown heavy traffic on the highway that goes through the middle of town, so it ought to be fun. News is cautioning people in our area, expecting power outages, telling people to power up their devices so they can keep up with the weather reports. I hope we don't lose power. This mobile home is miserable with no AC. Haha and we can't go to a hotel unless we drive to maybe Oklahoma? At least we have our own diesel tank and can fill the truck up if needed. No canning today! Think I will make some brownies.......

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Laura is going to hit land as a Cat 4. Highways are clogged with people fleeing the hurricane and hotels are full. Only ONE town has offered shelter to people, because of Covid. We have to go into town today, news has shown heavy traffic on the highway that goes through the middle of town, so it ought to be fun. News is cautioning people in our area, expecting power outages, telling people to power up their devices so they can keep up with the weather reports. I hope we don't lose power. This mobile home is miserable with no AC. Haha and we can't go to a hotel unless we drive to maybe Oklahoma? At least we have our own diesel tank and can fill the truck up if needed. No canning today! Think I will make some brownies.......
You can come stay with us ;)

Latest posts