Weather Where You Are

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
There's a ..

. Ripple ..

. of applause for all three jokes.

Steve ;)

i've never had Ripple or any of the other alternatives to MD2020, but i have had MD2020 way back when i was young and interested in those sorts of things. it was just a bit stronger version of wine but to me it tasted pretty much like grape juice with a kick. now i'm not sure what it tastes like... not going to try either. :)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
At least the Derecho that blew through IA did not deliver a lot of rain with it. They said if it had be rated like hurricanes it would have been a 3 or 4 when it hit Cedar Rapids! Possible winds of 130-140 MPH. (At least 30 minute duration too) Derecho = inland hurricane. AND no advanced warning. I heard the storm sirens about 10 minutes before it hit.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
At least the Derecho that blew through IA did not deliver a lot of rain with it. They said if it had be rated like hurricanes it would have been a 3 or 4 when it hit Cedar Rapids! Possible winds of 130-140 MPH. (At least 30 minute duration too) Derecho = inland hurricane. AND no advanced warning. I heard the storm sirens about 10 minutes before it hit.

i watched the radar as it was coming across as they had forecast high winds, but i didn't know it had a special name. what i've called those before are squall lines, but this was a lot more than a squall line.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are returning to our normal mid 70s. Of course my portable AC unit was shipped today. Oh well, next week supposed to be 80 again. Never had so many warm days in a row before.

It rained a little at 3am. Hopefully that helped the fires. It's slightly windy right now. Don't know if that's good because it blows some of the smoke away. But hopefully it's not adding fuel to the fires.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't want anyone to suffer damage from either storm, but I sure could use the rain! It actually feels pretty good, NOT making hurricane preparations like I used to do. Instead we get tornadoes. A couple of years ago, tornadoes had a tap dance party in our town, we were in a restaurant and got herded in the kitchen. The tornado tore up some places in town and headed towards our home. We drove home, not knowing if we were going to have a home, but it was unscathed. It took awhile to make it home because of all the trees across the roads, having to turn around several times to thread our way home. Really, I'd rather have the hurricanes.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marco went by and nobody noticed. The thunderstorms broke free and went up through Mississippi and Alabama, Those folks got or are getting some intense thunderstorms. The actual center of the storm went west along the coat and broke up.

Laura is expected to hit the Louisiana-Texas border area or just a bit west of that late Wednesday or early Thursday as category 3, a pretty intense hurricane. Storm surge is probably the greatest danger along the coast but there will be strong winds and heavy rains. Some streams, roads, and streets will flood. A dangerous storm.

Bay, it looks to me that you probably won't get much if any rain out of these storms. The remnants head up through Arkansas, across Kentucky, and to Delaware. Yesterday I was forecast to get about 4" total out of these two systems over 4 days. Now it looks like I'll get less than an inch total. And some breezes but nothing strong. There is still a storm out there so I'll pay attention but these look like a non-event for me. I just wish others good luck!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't want anyone to suffer damage from either storm, but I sure could use the rain! It actually feels pretty good, NOT making hurricane preparations like I used to do. Instead we get tornadoes. A couple of years ago, tornadoes had a tap dance party in our town, we were in a restaurant and got herded in the kitchen. The tornado tore up some places in town and headed towards our home. We drove home, not knowing if we were going to have a home, but it was unscathed. It took awhile to make it home because of all the trees across the roads, having to turn around several times to thread our way home. Really, I'd rather have the hurricanes.
Ahhh Tornados! Living in the mid-west we see plenty of those. Then this crazy Derecho EVENT ! Lack of a heads up and time to prepare , as in move away and put things on ice in the event of a power outage kind of bites! :( We hope to never see another in our life time and we did not get hit as hard as Cedar Rapids. Some still without power there 15 days later.

Latest posts