Weather Where You Are

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Zeedman, I have been planting my garlic so much closer than what you say. Hope to remember next year to give it more room.

I'm pretty sure Gilroy has higher daytime temperatures than I do.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Raining. Already about 1/2" since just before sundown, yesterday :).

@murphysranch

Hey, now that you have lived near Medford for awhile: do you know where the South Medford High School is? There was no such school 60 years ago! That was our cow pasture.

:) Steve
I'm meandering through my childhood this morning ... Murphy', the next time that you want to head south a ways ... maybe you want to go to Ashland to visit the Shakespearean Theater or have a picnic at Lithia Park ... take 99 from Rogue River to Gold Hill. You will pass by a little farm where I lived a few years with Goldie the Bantam and Pepper the Dog. Turn towards Jacksonville on Old Stage Road. Remember, I predate the interstate system ... yes, we often traveled thru Central Point on 99, but turn on Old Stage ;).

Jacksonville -- it must be the oldest settlement in Jackson County. I bet those young 49 'ers all grew up when Jackson was president. Maybe, stop at the museum ... then, leave town on South Stage Road.

A few miles and take a little side trip, a few hundred yards, down Griffin Creek Road. Check to see if Steve is in his classroom at the elementary school or if the teacher has made him sit in the hall. He will be lonely out there in the hall but don't show him any sympathy. No, just ask how it was that he was sent out there so that he can reflect a little more on his transgressions :(.

Turn north off of South Stage onto Orchard Home Road. You are now on my bus route home because Columbus never made it through to South Stage when I was a kid ;). You can't go all the way to Cunningham on the bus, either!

Mrs. Cunningham allowed me to park my bicycle on her front porch because I would otherwise have had to walk nearly a mile to catch the bus. You can walk through the pear trees to the bus stop, but that is only for fun and can use Sunset Road instead :).

Anyway, down Cunningham Road ... it'll be really a quiet experience if there is dense fog ... you arrive on South Columbus. Right ... and you will go past South Medford High. The church and house were not on the left side of the road when I was there but the house is about where ours was. It's a little closer to the willow and the rose garden than our house was. I'm pretty sure that they had to take out the old Apple Tree when they built that house ...

You can get back to South Stage Road by just driving ... past ... and continue to Phoenix and Ashland and the Siskiyous ... I hope that the weather is nice.

Steve

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve: I'm going to print this out. Thank you!!

I will have lots and lots of time on my hands soon. Hubs wants out of our marriage of 28 years and 30 yrs together. So as we are calmly dividing assets, I'm planning ahead of things to do as I gather myself. I've always wanted to stop at every monument along the sides of roads, but he didn't. How about I take some pics for you? Now that would be fun!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not possible for me to like this reply with the important difficulties in your life, @murphysranch .

I have only seen the high school buildings through Google street view. It's all really new. I haven't been in the Rogue Valley in over 20 years. Before then, I was making 3 or 4 trips a year.

My previous marriage was to the "girl next door." We shared custody of our son and I was the person accepting responsibility for his transport, summers and Christmas vacations. She moved, he moved ... he now lives in Portland - a little off-and-on since about 1990.

Sure, pictures may bring a tear to my eye but I'll be okay. I hope you will be okay, too. Lithia water in Ashland's city park is supposed to be healing.

https://sustainability.sou.edu/environment/

Steve

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Steve: I'm going to print this out. Thank you!!

I will have lots and lots of time on my hands soon. Hubs wants out of our marriage of 28 years and 30 yrs together. So as we are calmly dividing assets, I'm planning ahead of things to do as I gather myself. I've always wanted to stop at every monument along the sides of roads, but he didn't. How about I take some pics for you? Now that would be fun!!

I just re-read that murphy. You too huh. Lots of us heading for the divorce courts.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Steve. I've got alot of new territory to explore down there! I'm going to move to Eagle Point next June when this mess is finished up. I book marked that link!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Eagle Point
Eagle Point!?

From one little Oregon mountain town off the beaten path, to another ...

Well, I don't think that I was ever in Merlin but --- I've been in Eagle Point! I've even visited something less-than-60 years ago. Can't really remember when but do recall that I was the driver the last time ;).

Wow. Wikipedia says that there are over 8,000 people there now. I used to think that of it as a tiny, cute town and probably a good place to live. Trust that it still is :).

Just over the hill is that very pretty part of the Rogue River. Further, and you can visit Crater Lake and just knock the socks off visitors who are seeing it for the first time (LINK).

My family has connections to Antelope Creek area, not far from Eagle Point. The family ranch where Mom grew up is that way! They came there from Ashland, where my grandfather was a police officer :). Mom didn't really remember living up here; she was too young when they left for points south.

Steve

Latest posts