Weather Where You Are

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Years ago, when I was subscribed to Sunset Magazine, I read about an old Grist mill. One of our family trips, I made plans to stop and tour it. Fascinating knowing how the old mills worked. Last year, it burnt down. Its right there in EP. One of the famous Belushi boys is helping finance the rebuild.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We picked up another 1/3rd of an inch of rain, yesterday.

That made for "rainy conditions" at times. I was out with pedestrians during some of that time. It wasn't so wonderful that I was wearing a denim hat but my jacket was doing a good job shedding water. Heavy, new jeans ... I was comfortable.

Not everyone was. I didn't see any guys in shorts but there was a few in t-shirts, I noticed driving home. Funny expressions on people's faces that I passed on the sidewalk. Many were cheerful, even the lady holding the magazine over her head :). Some were grimacing so much I doubt if they even noticed anyone else. We have become accustomed to NO rain.

We will have some more ... right after a day of wind! I'm expecting wind gusts above 30mph but the WS says that some areas will experience gusts above 50!

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have seeds germinating too. The radishes and turnips are up really well, I saw my first chard break ground yesterday. I expect the beets to show up today or tomorrow.

I'll show the predictions for the next few days, subject to change a couple of times a day.

Hi/Low Dew Point Rain Chance/Amount
Friday 68/53 47 0/0

Saturday 75/63 53 10/0

Sunday 81/68 65 20/0

Monday 82/72 72 60/0.16

Tuesday 83/64 72 80/0.02

Wednesday 76/63 63 20/0.1

Steve you might consider this a fairly wet forecast, I consider it pretty dry. What those rain chances mean is scattered showers or thunderstorms. I might see something, I might not. I will be watering, my raised bed mix drains really well.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's been an odd season here: Blackberries with fresh blooms and berries, honeysuckle blooming, all kinds of annual flower seed sprouting.
I have some green-picked tomatoes turning red in the kitchen. These are from plants I put out from trimmings in July, I guess. We did have a killing frost, even with two layers of frost cloth over the plants, so I went ahead and picked some of them.
I finally have had energy enough to get out and start cleaning in the garden.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve you might consider this a fairly wet forecast,
Nah. .19" of rain for 5 days or a week.

That would be noticed and welcome in the growing season; it might even be okay for seedlings to emerge. But, less-than a quarter of an inch of rain each week isn't usually sufficient for our garden plants. I'd be running water on 'em. Be careful not to wash them outta the soil ;).

(What I see as really a contrast from here in Ridge's forecast are those slight 12° differences between afternoon and morning temperatures. Can you find some other way to slam the plants around just to level the gardening playing field, Ridge'?.)

@so lucky , will you have dying seedlings when the warmth blows away?

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
(What I see as really a contrast from here in Ridge's forecast are those slight 12° differences between afternoon and morning temperatures. Can you find some other way to slam the plants around just to level the gardening playing field, Ridge'?.)

I see two reasons for the daytime versus nighttime temps Steve. One is elevation, sea level versus in the clouds. Your air is just too thin. The other is that I am surrounded by water. Water has a moderating effect. It doesn't heat up or cool off as fast as the land.

The difference in water and land heating up is the driver behind our summer afternoon thunderstorms. As the land heats up during the day the (relative) warm air rises and draws in cooler but very moist air from the Gulf. As that moist air warms up it rises and we get thunderstorms.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Watching to see if it snows, today.

The storm in @aftermidnight 's neighborhood looks like a donkey stomping a ground squirrel on the radar map.

It's snowing right along the BC/Washington State border from there, already. Here, if it waits until afternoon, may melt after hitting the ground.

Steve

Latest posts