Weather Where You Are

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's 1c this morning with a lot of dark cloud coverage. It's still really early even the birds are still asleep.
20201208_071313.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yeah, it has been cooler here too now, but not enough snow. :( this week later it is supposed to warm up a bit during the day so perhaps we'll actually get out for some walks. would be nice to do.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder what an up-close look at a few flakes covering the hoarfrost would be like in a photo. I'll have to think about light and whether I want to lay down in it ;).
It didn't freeze last night. The afternoon temperature was 12°f above normal! Rainfall was much less than 1/10th of an inch. And, unless it was where I piled it up, our tiny bit of snow from the end of November, now amounts to about as much as could be gathered for a snowball! No reason to lie down and take a picture :).

The nearest Snotel station had some melting temperatures at its 4700ft elevation. Snowpack is right at average, anyway.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
TYPICAL up and down and up and down December weather for us.
BEFORE "Global Warming" and "Climate Change" (crap, that people cause some things that only volcanoes and God can do), we had several Christmas eves in the 60's, during the 1980's.
We have also had several Christmas eves/Christmas's close to zero degrees.
Over one hundred years ago, there was a January where the temperatures dropped 60 degrees in a few hours. Searching for the story...something like 1905 when this happened, but livestock without shelter froze. Anyway, here is a compilation of our historical ups and downs.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
looks like we might get some rain/snow this weekend, but nothing that will stick.

also looks like California might pick up some well needed rain this weekend too. :) i really hope that comes through.

it is nice enough outside that i'm going to be able to get something done and go for a walk.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You better, @ninnymary 🧣 🧥 !

No frost this morning and it's the 10th December. It was 25 years ago that we moved into this house. I had to look for it but at a nearby weather station there are still records online from that year (the Weather Service had an internet presence in '95? Sure, I'd imagine so ;).)

It was a cold "winter." We had already had temperatures that year in the single digitS' (F) by now. Ground Hog's Day - it was -24°. I remember telling DW & DD that it was as cold as the first winter that I lived in this neck of the woods, - that would be over 25 years previous. Wanted them to be sure and appreciate what they were experiencing. Probably, both of them have forgotten it by now ...

Will it be another winter as warm as 2019-20? That was likely the warmest that I have experienced, hereabouts. Hhmmm We had 0" of snow on the ground by Ground Hog's Day, 2020 and there had only been 5" OF SNOW at the max, on any winter day! I remember 1969 .... 42" at this WS station that winter (record).

Steve

Last edited:

Latest posts