Weather Where You Are

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
cold and snowing a little here, but not as cold as it has been. we'll be back to colder again overnight. hmm, hope the propane doesn't run out before their truck gets here this week. :/ heh...
As you live in an older property, do you have fire place. I really hope you get tha propane. Grab the hot water bottles and cover up with blankets.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had two ewes both have triplets the same night. One ewe, Eve (born on New Year's Eve) totally rejected one of her lambs. I don't know if maybe she forgot about him while she birth the other two, or the dog licked it, or what happened, but she did NOT want him. The other ewe, Miranda, wanted all her babies, but one was so small and weak that she couldn't suck. Miranda's teat is big and fat with milk and the runt lamb couldn't get her mouth over it. Both were cold.

I rigged up a half of a dog house with a heating pad and towels. Then I draped a towel over it, put the cold lambs in and turned on a hair dryer I placed in there. I got them both toasty warm. Then I had to tie the ewes and get the babies to nurse so they could get their colostrum, first milk with antibodies, without which, they will die. I spent the whole day, going from one ewe to the other, making sure the two babies could nurse. That evening I took them in the house and bottle fed them. If I had left them in the barn, they would not have made the night. When our week of below freezing weather is over, I'll start putting them in the barn during the day so they can be with the other lambs to run and play. I'll take their bottles to them and feed them there, and bring them in a night. Right now, the difference in temperature between the warm house and frigid barn would probably give them pneumonia.

View attachment 39071

My lambing thread on BYH

(1) Baymule’s 2021 Lambing | BackYardHerds - Goats, Horses, Sheep, Pigs & more
You are such a good lamb Mamma

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
As you live in an older property, do you have fire place. I really hope you get tha propane. Grab the hot water bottles and cover up with blankets.

our fireplace is hooked up to the propane tank too. :) we should be fine. they have five business days to get here and they were called early enough on Friday. the last time i called them they said they'd be here next week and they ended up showing up the same day i called. we're over 22% full so that should give us enough heat juice to get through the next week. i've never managed to get the propane down below 15% before and Mom freaks out so i don't really know how low we can go. if you run the propane out it is a hassle though so we don't really want to do that either. i would just like to know how low on the dial i can get before we're actually really going to run out. nobody answers that question when i ask them. i don't think they really know exactly either. hehehe...

if we really have to and still have electrical power we can run electric space heaters and even the oven (also electrical). it is a small enough house that we can do that.

Last edited:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
our fireplace is hooked up to the propane tank too. :) we should be fine. they have five business days to get here and they were called early enough on Friday. the last time i called them they said they'd be here next week and they ended up showing up the same day i called. we're over 22% full so that should give us enough heat juice to get through the next week. i've never managed to get the propane down below 15% before and Mom freaks out so i don't really know how low we can go. if you run the propane out it is a hassle though so we don't really want to do that either. i would just like to know how low on the dial i can get before we're actually really going to run out. nobody answers that question when i ask them. i don't think they really know exactly either. hehehe...

if we really have to and still have electrical power we can run electric space heaters and even the oven (also electrical). it is a small enough house that we can do that.
I bought a small electric oil heater, it uses very little electricity and really keeps the chill out if the room. I haven't had need for it the past few years but will never part with it, as it's invaluable at times.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought a small electric oil heater, it uses very little electricity and really keeps the chill out if the room. I haven't had need for it the past few years but will never part with it, as it's invaluable at times.

yes, we've always had several here over the years, long enough to have them eventually wear out and need replacing. when Mom used to be away during the week i could keep the door to my room closed and keep the rest of the house cool and only warm this room up more and that saved a few hundred $ a year in heating costs. to me it wasn't as much as saving the money as i just hate to waste energy period and there was no need for me to heat the entire rest of the house except for over the weekends when she was back home.

now she feels the cold more as she's getting older and so we keep it a bit warmer overall than before. to me it feels like a bit of a heat wave at times. :)

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We just had a week of snow and then frost. It started with snow last Saturday night. We had about 4", something I hadn't seen since the 80's. Then it was freezing cold and windy, but eventually the wind went away so on Friday I went iceskating, our national winter sport. Today was the last day because the thaw has set in. My feet and body are hurting but it was worth it!
20210212_155819.jpg

This photo looks like an old painting, so cool!
EuHvquhXYAA58Fl.jpeg

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
yes, we've always had several here over the years, long enough to have them eventually wear out and need replacing. when Mom used to be away during the week i could keep the door to my room closed and keep the rest of the house cool and only warm this room up more and that saved a few hundred $ a year in heating costs. to me it wasn't as much as saving the money as i just hate to waste energy period and there was no need for me to heat the entire rest of the house except for over the weekends when she was back home.

now she feels the cold more as she's getting older and so we keep it a bit warmer overall than before. to me it feels like a bit of a heat wave at times. :)
I like a very cool bedroom, so totally get you on the heat wave.
So far I've been good with my energy, I'm just hoping our bills don't increase to much, according to the newspapers they will go up 70 plus percent.

I'm hanging onto this little heater, it may come in handy again :)

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have had snow over this weekend but this morning it started to rain , it's cleared a lot of the ice away.
Our temperature reads as 4c but it feels to me as cold as it was when it was below 0.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have a small cast iron wood stove that sat on the hearth and was used instead of the fireplace at a different home.

What a difference that was. It almost seemed that I could stand and toss wood in that fireplace with hardly a break! Combine this with the fact that it was a two story house made for, what I felt was, an impossible-to-heat-comfortably home. I replaced the stairwell doors on that old house to block heat from escaping that way.

Our gas furnace relies on both electricity and gas, of course. I've imagined the need to move the little stove out of the garage and into the house. Bought stove pipe so that it could be vented through a basement window, which would be easy enough. Carrying it downstairs looks to be very possible because it is small buuutt ...

6f8e0a854b54e73e56e3c085029f15259edc6958ea891c25aca0cdf32c551283.0.png

Steve