Weather Where You Are

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug I'm literally in the same boat. It rained all last night, for the second day in a row. There was even a tornado warning just north of me - near my job! :ep The second-shift people - at the end of their shift - were kept inside until the warning was canceled. Pouring here again right now, pretty strong storm... and it's basically hovering over us, dumping rain, and taking its time. I hear the sub-pump kicking in & water pouring into the pit, I'll probably have a wet basement in a few hours. The gardens, though, should be loving this, they were getting pretty dry. Fortunately I picked all of the dry & near-dry seed yesterday.

Edit: Multiple tornadoes on the ground, one developed just East of me, as the storm passed over. One heading for granddaughter in Sheboygan, sirens there, she is in her basement waiting for the warning to expire.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug I'm literally in the same boat. It rained all last night, for the second day in a row. There was even a tornado warning just north of me - near my job! :ep The second-shift people - at the end of their shift - were kept inside until the warning was canceled. Pouring here again right now, pretty strong storm... and it's basically hovering over us, dumping rain, and taking its time. I hear the sub-pump kicking in & water pouring into the pit, I'll probably have a wet basement in a few hours. The gardens, though, should be loving this, they were getting pretty dry. Fortunately I picked all of the dry & near-dry seed yesterday.

Mom woke up from her nap a bit ago and laughed because the sump pump was running.

i went out a few hours ago to try to pick some. was surprised by how many weren't rotting yet (some were, a few were sprouting in the pods). it was still too hot and humid so i had to retreat inside and cool off but i was able to sit and shell most of what i picked to see how they were doing.

i'm watching a storm heading our way, looks like it is hitting Wisconsin again. i'm going to head out in a while and see what i can pick before it gets too dark or i poop out. all the lima beans need going through.

once we get through tonight and tomorrow the rest of the week looks much better both temperature and rainwise.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm watching a storm heading our way, looks like it is hitting Wisconsin again. i'm going to head out in a while and see what i can pick before it gets too dark or i poop out. all the lima beans need going through.

once we get through tonight and tomorrow the rest of the week looks much better both temperature and rainwise.
Hold onto your hat... I hope this weakens before it gets to you, it packed a pretty good punch as it went through here.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hold onto your hat... I hope this weakens before it gets to you, it packed a pretty good punch as it went through here.

our house has already been tested by a small tornado going only a few hundred yards of us and other high wind storms... the only thing i worry about now is flying debris.

i see it's rather angry looking, but the worst of it looks to be heading north of us.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks nasty on the radar map. Take care!

Do tornadoes proceed or follow?

Looks looks like even @Carol Dee has a chance of catching the tail end of the storm if it drifts east far enuf ...

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep @digitS' it got real close! Just a few miles to the North and West. We got strong wind and heavy rain. About 3/4 inch in about 15 minutes. Neighbor lost a tree. We only had some plant pots knocked off the deck railing. Whew! We will see how the rest of the town and surrounding area faired in the light of day.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, it's getting to be pretty heavy rains now, and it took out the television station we were watching (a show about Mark Twain). it's the first time i've watched anything on tv in probably six weeks or more (usually i just listen and make wise cracks from the peanut gallery). the tv show came back on...

tornadoes can be in the middle of big storms or anywhere along the edge before or after. i don't think there's any certain pattern to them other than watching the radar and looking for their sign in the storm. a very dense middle core that reflects the radar and then the dopplar effect of wind going away and then towards a very short distance away. a lot of lightning now, but i've been through much worse.

as a kid growing up in Grand Rapids, MI we spent a fair amount of time in the basement during storms and one of my youngest memories is being held up to the tiny basement window to look at the funnel cloud going over. it hit the church down the road. i was all of 2yrs old. we moved over here when i was 4, it's much calmer as we are in a broad flat river valley that used to be an inland sea. yes, we do get tornadoes and storms here, but they're often not as strong as they could be.

i have no idea if the power will be going out here, it hasn't been doing that too often the past few years, so i hope it doesn't...

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm glad i got out this morning to pick as it has been raining again for a while...

two days of sunshine and non-rain coming. well ready for them...

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks nasty on the radar map. Take care!

Do tornadoes proceed or follow?

Steve
Tornadoes usually follow, on the southwest edge of a storm... sometimes right behind large hail. As someone who has seen seven tornadoes, if you see lightning flashes about one second apart or less, don't wait for a warning - that is almost certainly either hail and/or a tornado.

Straight-line winds (which can feel like a tornado) generally precede the storm. It was straight-line winds 18 years ago which knocked over half of my neighbor's mature trees (it was his trees which prevented mine from following suit). There were tornadoes both north & south of us that day... as the two storms converged, the straight line winds between them lasted 15-20 minutes, and felled hundreds of trees.

We had some moderately strong straight-line winds here yesterday, knocked out my phone line for a few hours, and ripped off the covers from my pepper cages. No serious damage in my community though... the tornadoes elsewhere in the state were more devastating. My granddaughter is OK, but there are a lot of downed trees & power lines in her area. Strange weather for this late in the season.

Weather gurus say the same multi-day storm scenario may repeat in the Upper Midwest early next week... hope they're wrong. :fl

Latest posts