Weather Where You Are

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have een baking in the heat for most of the summer. A very unusual occurrence. We used to have 10 day s of brutal heat. Every summer has been getting worse. Back to miserable heat and humidity for the next few days. Little rain.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have een baking in the heat for most of the summer. A very unusual occurrence. We used to have 10 day s of brutal heat. Every summer has been getting worse. Back to miserable heat and humidity for the next few days. Little rain.

Same here Cat
Count your blessings... I was saying the same thing until 10 days ago! :th:hide

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm gonna make a prediction but I'm usually wrong about my weather predictions - kinda hope that it is true, this time ;).

Tonight's low is supposed to be 52°f. My prediction is that it is the last time it will be that warm overnight. It's been a warm summer and 49° is "normal" for tonight's low, according to WS station not that far away. So, nearly half our overnight lows should be warmer.

We have a few days ahead with 20% chances of rain. Well, maybe! Anyway, a little cooler but that isn't the reason so much for my prediction. It's that with such dry air, our summer highs and lows have been so extreme!

40° degree swings have almost become our normal. Was it me who said that plants don't do averages? Well, I was talking about freezing plant tissue ... Plant growth is something different!

I like how gardening advice for many places is to wait until spring overnight temperatures are above 60° before setting out some plants. Probably best but it would leave me waiting until July! That's normal.

Average daily temperatures do matter because plants must recover from the cold. They probably also have to recover from the heat ... I know that growing degree days (GDD) stop at 85°. Average!? Well, whatever ...

So, plants maturing in my garden is about all I can hope for. I am hoping that some cool-season bok choy makes it to where I have a reasonable chance of having fresh December stir-fry out of those transplanted to the greenhouse. Bok choy does well dealing with temperature. So do green beans! Not frost but I've been out picking beans during really unpleasantly cool fall weather just about every year. Of course, since my second crop was planted about a week later than it should have been in July, those 40° temperature swings could easily dump frost on top of a nice 100 sqft bed my green and purple beans!

Steve

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tucking in for the hurricane. The predictions change every day. Yesterday we were looking for 100mph winds and 24"+ of rain.
Today, not so much.
:hide

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tucking in for the hurricane. The predictions change every day. Yesterday we were looking for 100mph winds and 24"+ of rain.
Today, not so much.
:hide

I have not been following Florence that closely as it is not headed this way. It's a serious storm, projections are a Category 4 weakening to a 3 just as it hits, probably Friday. There is still some spread in the computer models, they don't agree exactly where it will land but you and @majorcatfish are going to see some serious effects. Looks like you are both far enough inland that you don't have to worry about storm surge but you especially are going to be on the wet side. It doesn't look like it will be moving real fast so it could dump a lot of rain. You will see quite a bit of wind too. Be ready for power outages and high winds. If your freezer is not full and you don't have a generator and a lot of fuel you might want to make a lot of ice. That will help the stuff in your freezer last a lot longer if the power goes out. I sure wish you luck.

I'm paying more attention to Isaac. Talk about spread on the computer models. Some models have Isaac turning north before he gets to Puerto Rico and going out to sea before he does anything serious in the Islands. Hopefully. Others have Isaac staying far enough south that he could possibly enter the Gulf. Isaac is still a long way out there and it is way too early for me to be concerned or make any preparations. At least Isaac is a small storm and is expected to weaken as it gets closer to the Islands.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
We went from 96* and humidity like a warm, wet blanket to FALL in two day's time. The transition was 2 days and nights of hard rainfall. Am loving the fall, but just not used to it coming so abruptly.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
We went from 96* and humidity like a warm, wet blanket to FALL in two day's time. The transition was 2 days and nights of hard rainfall. Am loving the fall, but just not used to it coming so abruptly.
Do you think it's here to stay or go back to summer for a couple more weeks?

Mary

Latest posts