Weather Where You Are

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The tornado in western Washington was certainly on the local news. Everyone here, ducked out of sympathy! Obviously, the high winds were not just in the Puget Sound area.

@Gardening with Rabbits , here is a picture from winter of '08. It indicates some of the problems I was having with storage in my backyard ... The carport behind me had yet to be shoveled off, I think '09 was the year when I rebuilt the roof.

Winter 'o8 038.jpg

The roofs of the greenhouses where I had worked 20 years earlier, mostly collapsed. Over the last 10 years, they weren't rebuilt.

Right now, we are at just over 100% of normal for snow cover at the nearest WS snotel station but yesterday's snow in my yard has mostly melted. It's a relief that snow is piling up at that 4,700 feet elevation snotel although, I think it was only yesterday that there was not some thawing even at that elevation. I think that we are now into a pattern where there will be more high-elevation snow and less melting!

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The weather service says of January 2008:

"When it was all over, 40.0" of Snow had fallen at Spokane airport, making it the snowiest month since December 1996."

Of course, I remember 1996. It wasn't much worse altho, there is always a little more snow here than at the Spokane airport. Now, in January 1969, there was 48.7 inches of snow that fell.

:old. It was my first winter here and I got the idea that it was somewhat more than normal but ... it was a good introduction to winter conditions for this California boy.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, Texans! How's that rain?? ( @baymule )

We are a-waiting for today's snowstorm ;).

The first wave is about 100 miles away and there are more behind it. All of pre-Christmas snow is nearly gone from my yard!

The morning sunshine has just burst out upon the scene! It won't laaast long ... But, not as brief as yesterday's sunshine! That might not have been 15 minutes before sunset.

At least, it wasn't as foggy a Christmas morning as the Weather Service had led us to believe. I think sometimes, the meteorologists get a little anxious about responsibility for travelers!

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That stuff is supposed to hit us about midnight tonight. Over the next several days we are forecast to get 3" to 7" total, but that is over several days. With what the pumps can handle (provided they are working) I don't expect any issues from that since it is over several days other than I'm staying inside. I'm tempted to open a 1000 piece puzzle we got for Christmas and see if I can finish it.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sadly there is no snow at our cabin. We'll be going there Sunday and will at least have quiet family time. Who needs snow? Other than the grandkids. ;) Guess we will have to drive up the mountain to find some.

Mary

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is snowing here now, but supposed to turn to rain. I'm hoping for a quick cross-country ski before the changeover. We had a lot of rain last weekend, which led to great skating yesterday.
View attachment 29910
I think this is a scene I have never seen before. A flooded woods, frozen over, being skated on. Pretty Cool!

Latest posts