Weather Where You Are

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is the middle of December. It is raining. It is 42 with a high of 47 forecast. It is the first time since I got the rabbits, which was 2012 that I have not put plastic up around the hutch to block wind. They are out there enjoying the weather. It is crazy! The grass is sort of green. I have lettuce growing in a box, not covered, very small but it is out there.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Really, I like snow, but since having the rabbits, I want warmer weather so I do not have to worry about them. If they were in a barn then I would not care, but dealing with this hutch is a pain in the winter. These rabbits are now almost 7 years old and one almost 8.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have been having foggy mornings. My husband has to go out and dry the play structure and other stuff so the kids won’t get wet.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it has been foggy almost every night the past week and cloudy all day, but it finally broke and we had some clear nights with frost and today some sunshine. it helps to see the sun. i woke up this morning at 4am so by the time i got some things done this morning i was tired and took a nap. glad the sun was still out when i woke up. :)

there's a red-tailed hawk perched on a tree branch along the tree line and earlier the crows were mobbing it. surprised to see it back. the blue jays will pester it too but for some reason at the moment they're ignoring it. perhaps it finally ate one of them...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a rainy night and morning.

I checked the nearest Snotel. That automatic weather station is at 4,700 feet, kinda behind a higher hill but the Weather Service has its reasons for the location of these things.

It finally hit normal! Funny how it did that but it has been scarily below normal for snow depth and water equivalent. Yeah, it didn't freeze there at 4700 feet last night. Imagine ... Anyway, whether that had something to do with a malfunction, I don't know but the dryness of the snow is measured and about when it first began to rain the machinery claimed the moisture of the snow dropped to 4%.

Well, that was wrong! Recorded snow depth leapt to like 12' Ha, Ha! Maybe it took some human intervention to get the moisture levels back up (instead of down) but it's a more reasonable 7+" water equivalent at that elevation and 100% of mid-December normal.

This has been our story for the last couple of years. Please ~ with our very dry summers ~ let mountain snow depth continue to be normal. If this part of the Northwest loses that winter moisture as we have been losing the rain and snow during other seasons, we would probably be well advised just to pack up and move.

Steve
Thankful

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
IMG_1076.JPG

Just a dusting ~ but the oven works ```
IMG_1082.JPG

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is the middle of December. It is raining. It is 42 with a high of 47 forecast. It is the first time since I got the rabbits, which was 2012 that I have not put plastic up around the hutch to block wind. They are out there enjoying the weather. It is crazy! The grass is sort of green. I have lettuce growing in a box, not covered, very small but it is out there.
SAme crazy weather here.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Picking up hay in shirt sleeves Monday evening.
Winds all day Tuesday and dropped to 27* overnight
Made it to 50* today, back down to freezing tonight
Tomorrow will be rain all day and expecting a high of 59* with a low of 54* !!!!

I kinda wish it would just freeze up. The mud is just nasty. Mud in the coop, mud in the pastures, mud in the yard, mud on the driveway....

Latest posts